Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete counter tops

Hello I'm thinking about experimenting with making a concrete vanity counter top. What kind of concrete should be used, and where is it available? Also just wondering some tips on coloring and sealing and what do I use to ensure the forms come off easily. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Dano199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Concrete counter tops

I specified a lot of concrete countertops and think the material beautiful if finished properly. One of my guys finishes sinks right in them that can be imaginative. I know it can be done as DIY but the guys I use have some pretty extensive training in making concrete counter and tabletops, fireplace mantels, etc. I am sure they would talk with you about mixes and so forth if you hit a dead end via Google.

Anyhow, I would dig around online to see what the concrete mix should be like, what type of colorants to use, staining, and polishing and sealing. Some intriguing tops I have seen recently use epoxy over the concrete. You might want to explore because the diamond tools to polish the surface will add up in a hurry.

If I were you, I would build yourself some sturdy trial forms and play around in 2'x2' squares or something? See what works for you. You can use the squares in the garden as stepping stones when done.

I have seen poured in place countertops but have never specified one for my projects. Most of mine have been prepared and installed just like stone ones would be.

Let me know if you need some sites to look at for stellar examples of how beautiful concrete countertops can be.

Last edited by user1007; 04-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Concrete counter tops

Thanks a lot am planning to try a couple sample in the next weeks. I've been researching ideas off random websites and you tube. I have some experience with concrete but not finishing it for something like a countertop. If it works out I will keep you updated thanks for your help.
Dano199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Concrete counter tops

Have fun! Here is one example of epoxy over concrete. You would not have to polish the epoxy.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote