Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete contractor has a mind of his own.

So I finally chose a guy I liked and came recommended by others to do my 10x20 shed pad with two sidewalks.

They poured a 16" wide x 12" footer today and ended up with some extra concrete. My wife called me and says she didn't know we were doing concrete in a certain spot. Turns out they just up and decided it made sense to have a "sidewalk" on the north side of the shed, in the 3 foot area before between it and the property line.

I've attached two pictures with some Microsoft Paint mock ups of where the shed pad and walks will go. He plans to extend the walk and slope it down to the new asphalt line...I think it will look silly. I'm debating on whether I should have him take it out or to add an additional slope - towards the intended sidewalk.

Thoughts? Should I just have him take it out? Or does anyone have any thoughts on how to make this new "walk" look presentable.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete contractor has a mind of his own.-optimized-mocked-sideview.jpg   Concrete contractor has a mind of his own.-optimized-mocked-sidwalk.jpg  

dclay79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Where's is all the water suppost to go when it rains?
Does it never freeze where you live? Reason I ask is it looks like those footing are going to be on grade.
Is there going to be block on top of those footings so the siding will not be so close to grade?

Last edited by joecaption; 09-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Joe,

Top of the forms are level with grade - the area was very low already. the footings are about 3-4" below grade and are about 12" thick. As for water, it currently pools where you can see the white on the asphalt. We're digging down about 4 feet and filling the area with gravel to accommodate the water. I was concerned about where the water will be going on the side of the shed now that there is a sidewalk there.

Also, in regards to your block question - the end height for the slab is to be 6" above grade.

Last edited by dclay79; 09-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 676

Are those footings deep enough for your area? They should go below the frost line and depending where in Utah you are that could be significantly deeper.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

Is there a permit for this job?
How big is this shed going to be?

By 12" thick, I think you really meant 12" wide, right?
Not sure how it works where you live, but here a footing is below the frost line, 8" thick with 3, rows of rebar and 24" wide, and at least one row of block above grade.
And that's just for a 24' X 24' garage not a house.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

No permit, the shed will be 10'x20'.

I spoke with about 7 different concrete contractors and all of them said to just put it straight on the gravel, 4" thick, this guy was the only one to put in any kind of footings. They are only 12" deep (16" wide). Is it actually hurting the pad to be put on these footings?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

Any thoughts about the ad-lib sidewalk on the side of the footings?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

As far as that sideway, in the picture it looks like they just wheel barrowed it in and dump it and used a rake to spead it around leaving the outside edges high without finishing it.
Looks like all they have done is form a stream to dump all the rain out onto your other slab.

I'll wait and hopefully one of the concrete guys will make some comments.
I can not make heads or tails out of his logic.
I know I sure as heck I never would have used the extra concrete to pore a walkway without talking about it first.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 526

I dunno, if you're going to rip out a bunch of the other stuff, you could probably have that done at the same time. If you don't want it, you shouldn't have to live with it. A lot of the contractors I work with don't agree with what some of the homeowners want to do, but they do it anyway because they're being paid to do a job. And it isn't their house.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

I can't really comment on the asthetics of the "sidewalks", but can tell you that it's not uncommon to install a non-frost protected slab/foundation for a detached garage or shed. Actually, probably 90% of detached garages here don't have frost protection...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #11

I just ended up having him take it out. I didn't want to deal with it. I must say, I thought highly of this contractor, but now I feel like I'm babysitting him. I tried to stay out of his way and let him do his thing, but I've had to point out 4 different things to him that should have been clear, and did not make any sense at all.

Sorry guys, just venting Tomorrow in comes the excavators to talk sewer lines and the HVAC guys to talk new furnace/ac systems.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #12

If you go back and look at some of the dozens of older post in this area about garages and sheds and there problums, you will see pictures and questions on cracking or sinking floors, water coming under the walls, doors out of wack, roten sills and sheathing. All caused for lack of prep work , poor footings, and not building the walls high enough above grade.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclay79 View Post
I just ended up having him take it out. I didn't want to deal with it. I must say, I thought highly of this contractor, but now I feel like I'm babysitting him. I tried to stay out of his way and let him do his thing, but I've had to point out 4 different things to him that should have been clear, and did not make any sense at all.
I know the feeling, I've been babysitting contractors all summer. I actually caught my siding crew starting to put siding up without the house wrap yesterday! I called the boss immediately and we had a nice talk.

Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote