Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete capstone for dry-wall

I'm exploring ideas for pouring 3 to 4' concrete capstones on my stone wall. The wall has a natural slope of almost a foot over 40 feet and I'd like to avoid spending lots of time leveling the capstones to the wall. I'm thinking about setting the capstone form onto the top of the wall and having a more flexible bottom that might allow the concrete to 'mate' with the wall top (without breaking thru the botton when I actually pour the concrete in. 1. I'm not sure what if the best fabric for the bottom? 2. I can always retreat to just pouring the forms into a hard bottom and then lifting the capstone into place on the wall, and then use gravel to fill in gaps between the wall top and the capstone. But, the flexible bottom seems, ah, more flexible, and should result in a better bond.

Appreciate any thoughts?

RhinebeckDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

So in other words, your wall slopes, but you want the capstones level? Like a stepped wall? If that's the case, you can make forms to make the wall stepped, then make forms and pour capstones.

Dwillems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Sorry for not being clear. I may in fact have to 'step-down' every few capstones (ie. 8-12'), but my question was about the under-side of the capstone and whether I could just try and pour the concrete into the capstone form on top of the wall (ie. four sides but no bottom to the form). Due to the nature of my wall building skills, the top of the wall is not uniform but I was thinking the concrete would act as the 'leveler'. But I still need to control the bottom of the form lest concrete will bleed thru. Perhaps top coating the wall with sand and gravel fill will help but I think some fabric is necessary as a 'flexible' bottom to the form. I guess I'm really just trying to save a step, and could accomplish same goal by top-coating with sand & gravel to fill any gaps and to accomplish leveling, and then pour the capstones into forms on the ground. It just seemed easier to place the form onto the top of the wall,,,but this why I asked the question, cuz I'm probably not thinking it thru completely?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

You really should have direct contact between the cap and the wall, and I'm not sure how you're going to accomplish that by "setting the form on the wall". You'll need to remove all the forms when you're done pouring, which will be a big challenge if they're poured in. Personally, depending on how "wavy" the top of the wall was, I'd pour caps on the ground and set them when cured in a mortar bed. Forming caps on a dry-stack wall is anything but elementary.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
RhinebeckDude (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the response. I think I'll follow your advice and set the finished caps into a mortar bed on top of the wall. It certainly will allow me limit the risk of screwing something up and not being able to back it out.

Tags
capstone