Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete block wall questions

I'm building a 5' wall, the bottom 2' is retaining non-sloping yard, so the to 3' will be free standing.

The footer and rebars are in place, just need to order the block. Using 8x8x16, just have questions about specifics:
1. I see 3 weights of block: light, medium, normal. Medium seems to be the standard and will be fine for this job, agreed?
2. What is better to use, Stretch block or the basic with square corners all around?
3. Is using Bond Beam a very good idea for this wall, or not really necessary? Opinions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Aaron

Pbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

Concrete block wall questions

These are a few loaded questions together that are tough to answer, even if you gave all the info needed, so all I'll say is that the "stretchers" are far easier to lay as the ends are intended to be used as hand-holds. Typically, "flush-ends" are only used at ends, corners (8" only), window & door openings, at expansion joints, etc....

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote