Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #1

Share |

concrete binding agent for basement floor patch?

Long story short..I have a square hole where the previous owners installed a shower.. got ground water a couple years ago and so I tore the shower out.. they did not fill in around the drain just left it down to the dirt... Before I fill this hole, a guy recommend a bonding agent like quickrete bonding liquid... Said paint it on the sides of the hole before I fill it.. do I need to, or can I just fill it? Under the toilet was the same way so I cut a larger hole around the drain for it.. just wondering before i pour it in

sh40674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #2

he's probably talking about a latex sold in apron/vest stores,,, what can it hurt other'n it only comes in gals, 5's, & 55's ? personally i'd just wet the sides & fill in w/patch conc,,, too bad you're not closer - just about to throw out last fall's leftover gal

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #3

Here's what it is
http://www.quikrete.com/productlines...ngadhesive.asp

What do you mean wet the sides?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

had a gc who wanted us to use it - same stuff - its probably better'n the old way of making up a slurry of cement/wtr but apologies for not realizing how much a newbie you might be.

so existing doesn't suck out the moisture new conc needs for proper curing, many often spray/wet the existing,,, there's a condition call'd ' surface saturated dry ' which means the existing conc won't absorb any more wtr yet there's no standing/pooling wtr - that's what i meant

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

So just spray the sides with water or use the bonding adhesive?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Or mix some cement with water,and paint it on the exposed sides just before you pour the patch.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

just as Canary sez,,, not a real THICK paste, tho,,, we still wet existing & use paste/grout consistency IF an inspector requires,,, don't let it dry out before placing the conc, tho