Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #1

Share |

Cleaning limestone patio that has been sealed

We had a new limestone patio installed several months ago. I sealed the patio with 2 coats of DuPont™ StoneTech® Professional Heavy Duty Exterior Sealer. Water is repelled very well. However, when leaves and twigs lay on the patio and get wet, light brown stains are left. The stains do not rinse away easily with water, but I suspect a gentle scrubbing with a deck brush will do it.

My question is what is the best way to frequently clean the stone without affecting the sealer. Also, a homemade product that is gentle on the surrounding lawn and plants would be optimal. I was thinking of trying some dishsoap + warm water, but was hoping for some expert advice. I've attached 3 photos of the stone. The first two show the stains. The last one shows what the stone looks like under a covered area, and thus free of stains.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning limestone patio that has been sealed-photo-1.jpg   Cleaning limestone patio that has been sealed-photo-2.jpg   Cleaning limestone patio that has been sealed-photo-3.jpg  

sanbalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

we expect you're already well-versed in the following: http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Pr...or_sealer.html

you're probably also aware of this: http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/...3580547bef.pdf

this is the 1st time i've ever heard of a sealer having an expectant serviceable life of 5 - 10 yrs but i still believe in a belt AND suspenders,,, try some ' goof-off ',,, dawn dish detergent is an old stand-by, too,,, NEVER use soaps

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
we expect you're already well-versed in the following: http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Pr...or_sealer.html

you're probably also aware of this: http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/...3580547bef.pdf

this is the 1st time i've ever heard of a sealer having an expectant serviceable life of 5 - 10 yrs but i still believe in a belt AND suspenders,,, try some ' goof-off ',,, dawn dish detergent is an old stand-by, too,,, NEVER use soaps
Thanks for the reply. I have seen the website info you posted, but they only recommend Dupont cleaner products that will likely be costly.

Wouldn't goof-off damage the solvent-based sealer?

You mention Dawn dish detergent, but say not to use soap. Am I missing something? Thanks!
sanbalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

The obvious answer is to not let leaves lay on the deck. I am not familiar with that sealer, but if it allows such staining, it isn't very good. As for cleaning, anything that will remove the staining will also remove the sealer.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #5

if ' costly ' is the ' controlling authority ' [ algore, tnx for the phraseology ] - do i need to finish this thought ?

most know soaps are different than detergent but i can't speak for you

we use goof-off on ' CSS ' w/o damaging it & CSS is probably the best sealer avail w/o entering the polyurea/polyaspartic arena
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote