Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Chimney repair, need advice

Hello guys!
Our chimney is leaking during heavy rain. Some bricks inside of the house are getting wet (see picture). So I had a couple of estimates from different companies. Two guys suggested waterproofing from the ground to the top. I think they probably didn't even go on top of the chimney. The next guy found a crack on top of the crown, so he wants to resurface the crown, repoint mortar (?) and replace the top section of the flue. He didn't think that the chimney needs waterproofing because he didn't think that waterproofing is the issue. And the last guy suggested to lay a new concrete crown as well, waterproof the chimney, and install slate over the rake.
So, I am confused about what I should do! Please see the pictures, advice needed!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney repair, need advice-p1000573.jpg   Chimney repair, need advice-p1000572.jpg  
Attached Images

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

I don't understand completely what the last contractor is suggesting, but it sounds the closest to ideal IMO. The crown you have is poor, and very suceptable to failure & leakage. With the amount of corbelling on the chimney directly below, the chimney would perform best with an actual cap. A functional cap (most often re-inforced concrete, not mortar like the current crown appears to be made of) will have a few inches of overhang with a simple drip-edge built into it, to keep the majority of rain water off of the brick directly below........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 108

And no mention of the flashing. Hmm. The middle qote sounds the most logical.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you can't see how wet the chimney is right near the bottom of the corbelling, which is a clear indicator that copious amounts of water are entering above it, you either need new glasses or a bigger screen....................
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Flashing has been recaulk about six month ago, but chimney still leaking, no difference at all!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I don't understand completely what the last contractor is suggesting, but it sounds the closest to ideal IMO. The crown you have is poor, and very suceptable to failure & leakage. With the amount of corbelling on the chimney directly below, the chimney would perform best with an actual cap. A functional cap (most often re-inforced concrete, not mortar like the current crown appears to be made of) will have a few inches of overhang with a simple drip-edge built into it, to keep the majority of rain water off of the brick directly below........
Do you think that top section of the flue needs to be replaced?
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
If you can't see how wet the chimney is right near the bottom of the corbelling, which is a clear indicator that copious amounts of water are entering above it, you either need new glasses or a bigger screen....................
Just got my new glasses Joe, so I see what you mean now. Lucky that Specsavers are doing a half price deal. I thought it was rising damp
Mikhail,
Do you mean the corbelled brickwork removed, or just the top flue pipe?
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Just got my new glasses Joe, so I see what you mean now. Lucky that Specsavers are doing a half price deal. I thought it was rising damp
Mikhail,
I think he meant just top of the flue pipe.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

The part of the chimney where the bricks corbel out is called the "bell". I would recommend you have all the bricks on the bell replaced and possible the flu as well depending on any damage they find. As far as the cap, mortar can be used or even a precast is fine. Every course of brick on a chimney is supposed to be filled solid with mortar when they build it. If not, any moisture from the top will make its way down and even inside your fire box. Obviously this wasnt built right if your getting water on your profile/hearth.

GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRUEPRO For This Useful Post:
Mikhail (05-10-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Do you think that top section of the flue needs to be replaced?
Thanks.
I can't see from here in WI, but likely every flue tiel needs to be reset because the mortar/refractory has washed out. Or you could have it re-lined. I have a hard time believing that the moisture you're seeing inside is simply coming from condensate running down the chimney when there's so many avenues of water entry at the top of the chimney. Like I stated before, ideally you'd have a cap installed that directs water away from the brick. What you have now is not a cap, but a mortar wash that was prone to failure when it was only a few days old..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Mikhail,

How are you doing Stu? Haven't seen you in a while, thought your wife maybe grounded you from the internet until that addition was done............
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
How are you doing Stu? Haven't seen you in a while, thought your wife maybe grounded you from the internet until that addition was done............
Not doing too bad Joe. Not far off with the wife question, she told me the other that ' if you lot at Contractor Talk did half as much work as you did talking about it, all the wives would get their jobs done and wouldn't need to nag'.

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote