Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Chimney Flue pipe question

Just moved into this house this past July...and noted that the masonry chimney had been capped/sealed for ventless gas logs.

Preferring real wood fires, I uncapped it and noted that the flue pipe liner is it really good condition, but that there seems to have never been the last section of clay flue pipe which would normally extend the 2 to 3" about the crown.

It doesnt appear as though it was ever there (i.e. the inside of the last section of pipe is blended into the crown)....

so my question is; is it necessary to widen the opening to fit a new section in just to extend it up?

(I can snap a picture this evening)

DougDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,318

Get a real chimmney sweep to come look it over.
Ever had a real wood burning fireplace before?
Least efficient way to try and heat there is.
The bugs, dust, soot, cost of wood, sucks the heat out of the other rooms.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

yeah...I grew up with a real wood fireplace. and living in the southeast, heating is not really a problem. its more about a real wood fire than anything else.
DougDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,318

Get the same look with a vented gas fire place, but no mess and real usable heat comes out of it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

Are you going to use it as an open fire or enclosed wood stove? If you have a cylindrical flue pipe there already I'd suggest to go enclosed. It can be very difficult to get good efficiency/ optimum heat from an open log fire. If there is room the best is a free standing stove you can cook or heat water on. If not, enclosed. With a wet back you have the ultimate. Wood is still more sustainable and an overall more sensible fuel choice than natural gas so good on you. In most cases you should be able to insert an extension piece to the flue without an issue. I would also suggest looking at some of the newer anti down draught/ negative pressure cowls on the market. blowback is still a serious overlooked issue causing a lot of grief to people due to EPA/ HPBA and the testing regime's sole focus on the firebox. Fixing the performance with the right top can improve inversion emissions issues significantly too. No fans/ replacible catalytics or filters should be necessary either.
jdherville is offline   Reply With Quote