Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Share |

Chimney cap question

We had some strong winds the other day, and in the morning I went out and found a round, metal ring on the lawn.

I looked up to the roof, and saw a couple more pieces hanging around the furnace chimney pipe.

Since I never really paid too much attention (we haven't been here for even a full year yet), I have no idea what this thing looked like before it blew apart.

My question is, what should I replace it with, and how urgent is it?

I have a faint memory of it being a sphere-like looking thing, but I when I google chimney caps, I don't see anything in particular that looks familiar.

We are in our only snow storm of the winter right now. So I can't get up there, and until the snow is off the roof I don't want to even try, unless it's critical.

Sorry for the lack of details - I feel like this is a simple thing, but I don't know what I need to look for in a replacement.

Thanks!

KatHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

Chimney cap question

And without a picture we do not either. There many differant caps avalible.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Hardway (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Chimney cap question

I don't have a picture because it blew apart. I can get some pics of the parts if that would help.

How about the urgency part? Will a single snow storm with no cover cause me grief?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Chimney cap question

The "ring" is probably the collar whose main purpose is to keep water out from in between the pipe and the boot, if that's your set-up.
If the one adjustable screw tightener came off the whole ring could just pop off.

Last edited by titanoman; 03-01-2012 at 03:43 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

Chimney cap question

It can effect the draft of the furnis, let water run in and corrode the inside of the combustion chamber, if there's a piolt light it may blow it out.
Not a great thing to let go for long.
Any other houses in your area built at the same time so you can see what it looked like?
Your going to need to at least know the diam. of the pipe it goes on to get a new one.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #6

Chimney cap question

I finally got up on the roof today - the first day there wasn't ice or water on it since I was able to borrow a ladder.

The flue pipe is a 6" ID metal pipe. The cap that was on it was held on by a ring that sat on the outside of the pipe, and had 4 bars that stuck up, on which a set of rings and a cap were riveted. Every rivet had been popped, and 3 of the bars are missing, so there's no repairing it.

Anyway, any suggestions about what kind of cap I should put on now? Is there anything I should absolutely NOT use? The furnace is propane burning, if it matters.

Do the caps normally just use friction / compression to be held on?

Tags
chimney