Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |

Cement Slab moisture proof?

Hello DIY Members :-)

I'm a new member and I'm doing a home project? I have a high moisture reading in my Living room of 25% ? I want to put down carpet, but first I want to put down something that would stop the moisture coming up from the slab? I live in Florida. House is 33 years old. Does anyone know of a product to put down???

Thankyou, Bob :-)

bobzollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzollo View Post

I'm a new member and I'm doing a home project? I have a high moisture reading in my Living room of 25% ? I want to put down carpet, but first I want to put down something that would stop the moisture coming up from the slab? I live in Florida. House is 33 years old. Does anyone know of a product to put down???

It's not possible to moisture proof it,just live with it.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #3

what method was used in determining the slab's moisture content ? iirc, conc, according to aci, must be 5,000psi to be waterproof,,, doubtful yours is over 3,500 -do you know the water table level ?

we mitigate water entering the slab by trenching/swaling outside. having some exp w/waterproofing-conc repairs helps diagnose. next step would be eliteCrete's vb 1 epoxy on the interior surface [ no $$$ interest other than we're licensed to use their products ]. there are others.

this won't stop wtr from entering the slab edges & permeating the slab as wet runs to dry,,, however, it will stop moisture transmission to the surface

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 12-05-2013 at 06:29 AM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

If concrete wicks moisture as some would like us to believe all concrete walks and parking lot surfaces would be wet 24/7. Put the carpet down just as all builders do and worry about something that needs worrying about.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

lemme address that comment on behalf of ' some ',,, many of us also believe the earth is round surface-dry is not a condition of slab moisture content but only as a surface condition - eg, ' surface-saturated dry ' is wet to the point that conc will accept no more water yet there is no standing wtr

you did perform a moisture test to be sure the damp was exterior vs interior ? 2' x 2' plastic taped to the floor for 24hrs should be sufficient proof,,, there likely could be a mold-encouraging atmosphere promoted by carpeting a rising damp surface,,, here's a pic of moisture penetration on 3 test bricks placed in a 3/4" water bath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damp_%28structural%29
http://www.buildingconservation.com/...risingdamp.htm

here's 1 of ours [no financial interest ] http://www.taylortools.com/tftmk.html

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

Smile

Hello All

To answer a few questions.
1. Slab is on Grade
2. I'm 55 feet above sea level
3. House has great draining and gutters away from house.
4. Did plastic moisture test all through house, and yes a lot of moisture under plastic after 24 hours.
5. House always has 75% to 80% Humidity reading now that the slab is exposed. Will be buying Dehumidifies after carpet is down.

I was told by a floor company to use RadonSeal to cover the slab??? Has anyone heard or used this product??? Also was told to use a concret sealer from another Floor company.

I was told by Lowes Flooring department that a reading of 14% and lower you can put down anything? The carpet should be the safest??

Thankyou all for your help... Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

I used Radonseal on my foundation and honestly cannot tell you if it worked. It's just a clear liquid with a slightly soapy consistency. I do know that if I put a few drops of water on top of where it was applied it beads and stays there until it evaporates. It does not soak in. Take that for what it's worth. I purchased another product from them to seal the cultured stone on my steps and they are falling apart, so that product at least did not work.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

besides xypex, we've used kryton [no financial interest] successfully,,, don't expect any apron/vest store to be knowledgeable even about the mtls they sell

http://www.decorativeconcrete.com/co...por-warrenties - look for mz lindy's ( the go to source ) posts - she's extremely knowledgeable & willing to help all who ask

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 12-05-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #9

So you did the plastic moisture test. What does that tell you? If moisture appears immediately it tells you the temperature of the concrete is below dew point in relation to the amount of moisture in the air that was supposedly sealed under the plastic. If moisture appears 2 days or a week later it is saying the concrete cooled to below dew point in relation to the air that was under the plastic. It tells you nothing more or nothing less.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
bobzollo (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

Hello all :-)

Thankyou for all your repleys. Some are saying that I should put down the carpet and let it breath. So the high moisture reading should not effect the carpet. Or buildup mold under the carpet?? Great article from itsreallyconc. Tks. Any other suggestions??? Tks, Bob :-)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #11

http://www.masticasphaltcouncil.co.u...ations/floors/

An old fashioned method, but still one of the best.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzollo View Post

a high moisture reading in my Living room of 25% ?

When I read the original post I assumed the 25% was a typo and meant to be a humidity reading and later reading more about 80 percent humidity I see I was mistaken.

All I can say now is disregard my previous reply because conditions above 13 percent moisture with a temperature around 75-80 mold is surely thinking seriously about forming on organic material.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #13

Some reading; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...059-slab-happy

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

Photo 6; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...sture-problems

Gary
Old 12-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #14

http://www.masticasphaltcouncil.co.u...ations/floors/ - stuart, is that hot-applied rubberized asphalt cement ? that's not a common process here in the colonies as it calls for a double boiler [ indirectly heated ] to properly melt the mtl then pump it,,, most roofers only own directly fired pots

Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Get a whole house dehumidifier. Cost more, but usually quieter then a portable, and cheaper to use.