Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Cement Contractor License?


I was going to hire a contractor to pour a cement patio. What type of contract do I need to provide and sign? I couldn't find anything online. I assume it can be a simple document that indicates that the work is done to the specification provided. It will take one day to do the work. I have a work order that shows the size of the patio, but not sure if that is enough along with the verbal discussion I had.

Also, what is a minimum warranty time that should be provided on cement work. I saw a few websites stated 2 years.

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Cement Contractor License?


oops. I used the wrong title.

I was suppose to put something like "Is a contract needed for a cement contractor?"

oh well, hopefully I get some responses.

Thanks

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,575
Rewards Points: 2,188
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Your contractor should be providing the contract for you to sign.

Be sure to read it carefully and make sure that everything you're expecting is outlined.

A contract is a "meeting of the minds" so after reading the document there should be no confusion by anyone on what exactly is going to be done, for how much and when. Including the "what if's"...what you'll be charged for extra work that may present itself do to unseen conditions.

Btw, it's a Concrete Patio, Cement is just one of the ingredients.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-10-2012 at 05:10 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Your contractor should be providing the contract for you to sign.

Be sure to read it carefully and make sure that everything you're expecting is outlined.

A contract is a "meeting of the minds" so after reading the document there should be no confusion by anyone on what exactly is going to be done, for how much and when. Including the "what if's"...what you'll be charged for extra work that may present itself do to unseen conditions.

Btw, it's a Concrete Patio, Cement is just one of the ingredients.
The contractor didn't indicate that a contract would be signed so I was going to develop a simple one that covered the work that will be done, payment, timeline and liability. We verbally talked over everything (it will be a one day job, payment schedule, date) so nothing complex, just laying a concrete patio. I got a work order document that states the size, material, etc to cover the work that will be done, but doesn't have a clause about liability which I wanted to add.
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 237
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Agreed. The contractor shall provide the simple contract for the scope of work. As far as warranty, you cant really offer that on concrete. Most concrete cracks eventually. What you need to have in the contract is something that states the following:

"Contractor shall install a tamped stone/sand substrate no less than 3 inches"
"Contractor shall saw cut expansion joints after concrete has set"
" Contractor shall install wire remesh"

These three things are used to prevent any cracking or settling.
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Thanks for the insight.

The contractor indicated 1 inch aggregate base, which I assume is the stone/sand substrate. I think the 1 inch is too little. I read that some places doing 4 inch, but not sure if that is overkill. Is 3 inches a minimum or could it be 2 inches.
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,737
Rewards Points: 2,026
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
Agreed. The contractor shall provide the simple contract for the scope of work. As far as warranty, you cant really offer that on concrete. Most concrete cracks eventually. What you need to have in the contract is something that states the following:

"Contractor shall install a tamped stone/sand substrate no less than 3 inches"
"Contractor shall saw cut expansion joints after concrete has set"
" Contractor shall install wire remesh"

These three things are used to prevent any cracking or settling.
Most, if not all states, require at least a one year warranty on all contracted work, whether you know it or not. If you can't get you're work through the first year without failure, somethings wrong, and the customer deserves better than this. Can't speak for others, but good practice, EXPERIENCE, and honesty work should produce concrete that performs well for decades........

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
Thanks for the insight.

The contractor indicated 1 inch aggregate base, which I assume is the stone/sand substrate. I think the 1 inch is too little. I read that some places doing 4 inch, but not sure if that is overkill. Is 3 inches a minimum or could it be 2 inches.
The contractor is likely referring to the size of the aggregate when saying 1". The industry minimum is 4", and more is certainly better. I'd suggest shopping around for another contractor who will give you a decent contract and scope of work. Keep looking until you find the right fit.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 127
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
The contractor is likely referring to the size of the aggregate when saying 1". The industry minimum is 4", and more is certainly better. I'd suggest shopping around for another contractor who will give you a decent contract and scope of work. Keep looking until you find the right fit.
I'll check around, but I think California is slightly different. The weather is pretty mild compared to other parts of the country.
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
World's Tallest Midget
 
Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twisp, WA
Posts: 746
Rewards Points: 504
Default

Cement Contractor License?


Yeah, he's referring to the aggregate size. A 1" minus (all rocks will fit through a 1" screen, with smaller aggregate in varying sizes/percentages that is optimized for drainage and compaction) mix is probably what he'll use for the grade. That's good, though, I've seen a lot of guys that will just dig out the lawn and dump concrete right on the dirt.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concrete patio, contractor license


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
flat cement roof naturallight Roofing/Siding 7 05-11-2012 09:25 PM
Moisture Barrier Behind AND on Top of Cement Board JasonCA Remodeling 0 04-07-2012 01:31 PM
Peel and Stick Veneer and Contact Cement GreggG Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 3 05-15-2011 01:45 PM
Rotten cement - skim coat or board? BradG Building & Construction 1 11-25-2007 02:25 PM
Siding: Cement Vs. Cedar Grumpy Remodeling 5 03-19-2005 01:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.