Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

carport apron

I'm needing to fix an apron on my carport, I've bought the quick create, how do I do it

Tncharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

carport apron

Moved to Concrete forum.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Tncharley (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

carport apron

What do you mean by fix? Unless you're pouring the concrete fairly thick you don't want to use conventional concrete or will not bond to the existing surface. Give us some more information and pictures as possible so we can give you some better help.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

carport apron

We had a new carport poured and the guys that did it didn't put an apron on it so now if we want to pull on the carport we have to bump up on it cause its like 3 or 4 inches thick, so I thought maybe I could fix a form of some kind, mix this concrete, pour it then work it down, but I've never did this so I was needing some pointers, thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

carport apron

Since that's the case it's going to be relatively easy. You need to install an expansion joint material along the existing concrete, the easiest way to attach it will be with industrial adhesive. You can then construct forms for the other three sides. You want to make sure the concrete will be at least 4" to reduce cracking and increase strength. To make it easier you may want to break up the area into two or three sections so you don't get overwhelmed trying to mix and place that much concrete. Just use the expansion joint material between each section.

After the forms are complete filled with concrete and use a board (screed board) to level the concrete. Rest of the ends of the board on the existing concrete and the outside form board and work it back and forth as you move it along the surface. Since this is a relatively small area you can just use a large flat trowel to work the surface after this. After you have the surface very smooth and it begins to harden you will probably want to run a broom across the surface to roughen the surface lightly to make it less slippery when wet.

Be advised, it's going to take quite a few bags of concrete mix!
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #6

carport apron

Oh ok doesn't sound that difficult, thanks so much