Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |

Capping vent in brick wall

I am in the process of selling our house as we get ready to move overseas, and the home inspector just dinged us for a vent through the exterior brick wall into our (now enclosed) carport. I'm going to go ahead and cap it myself but was curious as to the "best" method to do so. Brick and mortar? Something else entirely?

Appreciate any and all suggestions...my focus is carpentry and woodworking. Masonry is a new one for me.

Mac

Adding pictures to illustrate.

Capping vent in brick wall-image-2056198138.jpg

Last edited by amack; 04-05-2012 at 04:36 AM.
amack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #2

Remove vent. Replace with brick. They will not match but your problem will be solved. Masonry isnt exactly a DIY type project but i would charge about 150 to do this repair material included.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-12-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Removed link
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

You do realize that the inspector for the buyer is in no position to tell you what needs to be fixed.
He makes recommendations to the buyer on what should be corrected.
If the buyer wants it fixed,work it into the sale price.Get an estimate to fix it and offer half to the buyer and let them fix it if they want it fixed.
Can't see that being a deal breaker for the buyer.

Of course if you want the challenge of fixing it you can do that too.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Yeah, painfully aware of all that. Our first response on this was a flat no. Went back and forth with buyer and for whatever reason it was important to him. I'm struggling with the necessity of paying a contractor for what appears to me to be something not too terribly difficult to fix. So, our final response was that I'd fix this myself. Plan right now is just to yank the vent out and brick up the opening (vent is non functional, not tied into the oven or anything). Thought I'd post here and get some ideas.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amack
Yeah, painfully aware of all that. Our first response on this was a flat no. Went back and forth with buyer and for whatever reason it was important to him. I'm struggling with the necessity of paying a contractor for what appears to me to be something not too terribly difficult to fix. So, our final response was that I'd fix this myself. Plan right now is just to yank the vent out and brick up the opening (vent is non functional, not tied into the oven or anything). Thought I'd post here and get some ideas.
Couple of problems with that.
You fix it then the buyer backs out for another reason.
Or,you fix it but it's not to their liking.
That's why it's better to work that into the sale price and let them do the repair.

If your going to fix it,HD sells a small plastic bag with cement in it just add water. About 8 bucks for the bag. If you have a brick in your back yard or front yard or basement that matches those already there use it.
Good luck!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

The above described way to fix it is wrong. You have to do it the RIGHT way or risk critique from potential buyer. The right way to do it is use a 14 inch diamond saw and tooth the bricks so whole bricks can be installed, not half brick and pieces to fill the void leaving a straight joint up the side that will look terrible. Never ever use a premix BS sold at HD or Lowes, the result will not be pretty. I do agree with sublimes statement about leaving it up to the buyer to make the repair because once your tear out that vent your left with a project that you might not want to be involved in. Work it out with the buyers so you dont have to hear complaints if the repair doesnt turn out as planned.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-12-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Removed link
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #7

Gents, thanks much. Buyer actually opted for something even easier. Just wants it covered so is happy for me to pull the old vent cap off and cover with a regular old metal flat duct cap. Whatever. Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amack View Post
Gents, thanks much. Buyer actually opted for something even easier. Just wants it covered so is happy for me to pull the old vent cap off and cover with a regular old metal flat duct cap. Whatever. Thanks again!
If I was the buyer and the repair was a deal breaker I would insist the repair be done by a licensed professional with receipts. But glad to see your snafu was remedied.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #9

Just curious,what did the inspector say about the cover on you J-Box ?
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Inspector just said vent should be "capped". I proposed this fix as plan b (bricks were first). Buyer requested just a vent cap. No follow up inspection req'd/requested after the job completed.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks View Post
Just curious,what did the inspector say about the cover on you J-Box ?
I was wondering the exact same thing, it certainly appears to be a potentially bigger problem than the vent.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell
I was wondering the exact same thing, it certainly appears to be a potentially bigger problem than the vent.
Doh! Misread this earlier. The inspector didn't write up a thing on the junction box. What's the issue?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amack

Doh! Misread this earlier. The inspector didn't write up a thing on the junction box. What's the issue?
I'm guessing the issue is that box is outside and its not an outdoor/ weatherproof rated box.(it appears metal).
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
I'm guessing the issue is that box is outside and its not an outdoor/ weatherproof rated box.(it appears metal).
Exactly! Being outside it definitely needs to be a weatherproof box. Just shows how inspectors only find what they want to find, which usually isn't a lot.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #15

But it isn't! The wall you're seeing is internal (garage).