Can You Put Stone Over Brick? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Can You Put Stone Over Brick?

Can you put veneered stone over existing painted brick like on this fireplace? If so how?
Attached Thumbnails
Can You Put Stone Over Brick?-img_5546.jpg  

Advertisement

srj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 1,968

Re: Can You Put Stone Over Brick?

Yes you 'can'.....

However, in your case, the paint on the brick is going to be your weak point

I'm willing to bet that brick has no structural value....it's just 'stuck' there, just like ledger stone would be. You might be better off pulling off the brick.

Another option....anchor cement board to your existing brick..the attach your stone to that...

But that is going to make for a pretty big bump out...

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Bummer. thx. How should I get the brick off without damaging the block under it?
srj11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 1,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj11 View Post
Bummer. thx. How should I get the brick off without damaging the block under it?
Location? And when was the house built?

I'm assuming the fireplace is original with the house?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Yes, you can install stone veneer over brick. But it is not as easy as trowelling mortar onto the brick and applying veneer. Like other surfaces, the brick must be prepared correctly.

You need mesh. While veneer is a fraction of the weight of full stone, it is not light. The mesh forms a framework that the bonding material will surround and be inseparable from it (absent smashing with a hammer). The mesh is firmly attached to the underlying structure with fasteners (type depending on the nature of the siding).
John_7878 is offline   Reply With Quote