Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Share |

can i provide corner bar on cmu wall corner?

i was told that you may need to break a portion of cmu to do this and it's hard.

tnx,

http://i46.tinypic.com/2n8sm5k.jpg

[/IMG]

dumbengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

All the plans i have ever built from have specified the 90 degree corner rebar to lay horizontal/flat, not turn down into the corner cell. You already have the 3 corner cells with vertical rebar coming up no need for more there.

GL

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

dumbengineer -

You need to knock out the top 1/3 of the vertical block webs to make a space for the horizontal steel. Make sure the "L" ends of the horizontal steel are long enough to develop a lap strength to transfer any loads to the rebar in the rest of the wall. If it is just a bond beam course, just get the bars to overlap by 24".

Check to see what shape CMUs they have in stock. If they have the right ones. In many areas the selection may be limited. I have seen suppliers that had 100 different configuration 8" block (not including colur, split and other architectural features or strength levels). On the other hand, you may be in an area that only has basis selection of 4 to 6 shapes.

Vertical steel in the corner of the wall serves very little purpose except a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 08-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

It looks to me, if I'm seeing it right, it's merely a lap bar and single rod in the bond beam course. If that's true, it's not really that complicated, and the corner block will likely need to be a standard flush end, with two of the webs and one side of one core knocked out. Most of the time, this will not be a produced block and will need to be sawn on site, and simply knocked out with a hammer.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
It looks to me, if I'm seeing it right, it's merely a lap bar and single rod in the bond beam course. If that's true, it's not really that complicated, and the corner block will likely need to be a standard flush end, with two of the webs and one side of one core knocked out. Most of the time, this will not be a produced block and will need to be sawn on site, and simply knocked out with a hammer.
so this is not a pain in the a.s.s for the masonry construction guys? i'll add those corner horizontal bars.

Last edited by dumbengineer; 08-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

Any good masonry contractor would have no problem doing according to the drawing you showed.

Breaking out the top of a web or a part of a face shell that will be hidden and filled, since even without a saw it is done routinely, especially on a small job where it is easier to improvise and shop for special units.

Dick
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

ok tnx. how about the length of the wall? should it be divisible by cmu length ? would it be pia if it's not?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

If the wall length is not a modular length (modules of 8"), you will have to cut one block every course to fit unless a 4" long block is will fit and is available.

Dick
Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
If the wall length is not a modular length (modules of 8"), you will have to cut one block every course to fit unless a 4" long block is will fit and is available.

Dick
yes, but is this pain in the as.s for professional masonry contractor or this is "common" and shouldn't be a big deal?

I want to think this is common and shouldnt be a big deal.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Any good masonry contractor would have no problem doing according to the drawing you showed.

Breaking out the top of a web or a part of a face shell that will be hidden and filled, since even without a saw it is done routinely, especially on a small job where it is easier to improvise than to shop for special units.

Dick
I agree Dick, and tend to believe that the correction I made is what you really meant................

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote