Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

Can I hang a kayak on a retaining wall.

I have a 14' high retaining wall made out of Keystone standard blocks.
http://www.keystonewalls.com/pages/p.../Standard.html
Can I screw a couple hooks to it and hang a 60 pound on them?

Seems like it ought to be safe enough, but considering how expensive the wall was, I don't want to make any chances.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I think your best bet is to contact Keystone directly and inquire from them. If allowed they would be able to tell you how to anchor your hooks. I believe anyone else would be guessing, I know I would be.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

i'll guess its the 1st time they've been asked if 1 hook into a block would hold 30#,,,IF it were my kayak, it'd already be hung & i'd be back on the couch
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (05-19-2013), Willie T (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

I wouldn't, due to you do not know if the person that put up the wall with that system, did it correctly. You are better to just build a rack out of pressure treated lumber, that you can place the kayak upside down on, and secure with a chain or cable, to keep it from walking away.

Also, do you not have a storage area if this is a rental, that you can place the kayak in, or a carport/garage, where you can place it out of the way?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

The Keystone system, like most segmental concrete block walls over 4 feet tall, relies on reinforcing that extends backwards perpendicular to the wall face. The concrete blocks actually provide very little support, they are there mostly as an attractive face on the wall, and provide a place to terminate the reinforcing fabric that strengthens the soil.

As such, the blocks are certainly not intended to support the type of load you are discussing, as a kayak would exert rotational forces on the block. I would send Keystone a sketch of what you have in mind, see what they have to say.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

If I ask Keystone they will tell me the product was not intended for that purpose and has not been tested for it. They would recommend against using it for anything but the intended purpose.

Each block is connected to the one above and below it by two fiberglass pins.
A block shouldn't twist out, and each block weighs more than the kayak; but if it did fail...
If the proposal is to be believed, they brought in 600 tons of material to create the terrace; the DEC wouldn't be happy if that fell into the lake.
I wonder how stable it would be if the wall was removed.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I wonder how stable it would be if the wall was removed.
well I doubt they would have put up the retaining wall if it would have been stable without it. Make sense?

I would ask Keystone "how do you anchor a couple of hooks into their product to hang your kayak from," not if they recommend it .... now they may answer you with "we don't recommend it"

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 0

I had to go check, and make sure I was really on the right forum after reading some of these answers. Shoot, after even reading just the question!
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

I did ask Keystone. They didn't discourage me, but said to use concrete anchors rather than screws, as there are likely to be voids that screws won't hold in.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I did ask Keystone. They didn't discourage me, but said to use concrete anchors rather than screws, as there are likely to be voids that screws won't hold in.
What, the pic's were not enough to show that there are voids in the blocks? If you do use anchors, use the types that are used for securing block foundations in the soil, when they bow.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote