Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 546

Can I fill 1/2" steel pipe with cement?

I am making a rack to hold a boat in a lake; kind of a cheap hoist substitute.
I am thinking of using 1/2" galvanized steel pipe but am concerned that water will freeze in the winter and break it. I figure that if I fill the pipes with cement, water can't get in, so ice can't break it?
I am a little concerned that cement might be too thick to flow through 1/2" pipe with just gravity.

Would this idea actually be effective?
What product would be best?

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

I wouldnt worry about ice freezing in the pipe. its gonna freeze around it too.

my BIL just sinks his pipes ( galv fence posts if I remember right ) and then slips pvc over em to help prevent scratching his boat.

very easy to sink the pipes using the output of a sump pump attached to the top end of the pipe. it pushes all the mud/sand away as you are pushing it down.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

If you have real ice and a little wind, nothing will stand up to the forces from an "ice-out". Around here, everything is taken out in the fall and dragged on the shore by kids earning money for college tuition.

Boat hoists are commonly removed.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Hoists are removed here also. Years ago I didn't remove one and the ice bent an aluminum tube; but I doubt that same ice could bend a steel pipe (especially if it were filled with cement) and it wouldn't matter much to my application if it did.

I just bought the place last fall and we didn't get any ice on the lake because of wave action (my damaged hoist was on the other side of the lake where there are no waves and ice forms), but ice did build on docks and rock, and anything in the lake. So, I expect ice would form on my "hoist", but I doubt it would hurt anything. But if ice forms on the outside, it should form on the inside also.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,474

Rockite hydraulic cement will pour in easily through a funnel.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,104

Just fill it with grout,concrete isn't neccessary and grout will flow better,just make it wet enough.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,386

you can fill any size pipe you wish IF you can figure out how to get the conc inside it

i'm not an engineer but 1/2" pipe sounds as if you're asking a drinking straw to do dock support work,,, then again, its your $$$ & your dock,,, IF you think your idea has merit, why not increase the chance of success by using 3" or 4" pipe w/1 or 2 pieces of # 4 rebar inside encased in woody's grout ?

no, on 3rd thought, 1/2" will be much easier to pull out when the ice damages it & it will !

Last edited by stadry; 04-25-2013 at 07:33 AM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
you can fill any size pipe you wish IF you can figure out how to get the conc inside it

i'm not an engineer but 1/2" pipe sounds as if you're asking a drinking straw to to dock support work,,, then again, its your $$$ & your dock,,, IF you think your idea has merit, why not increase the chance of success by using 3" or 4" pipe w/1 or 2 pieces of # 4 rebar inside encased in woody's grout ?

no, on 3rd thought, 1/2" will be much easier to pull out when the ice damages it & it will !
Ayuh,... Agreed,... I'd think 2" pipe would be Minimum...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

Well, if the issue is strength, I think 1/2" ought to be okay. The boat is only 125 pounds.

If the issue is getting material to settle down the narrow tube; you don't think the grout or hydraulic cement will work?

If the issue is ice damage resistance then yeah, it is a gamble; but it would have done fine this year and this year was about average. And the material cost goes up rapidly with pipe size.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,074

Any concrete formula with small enough aggregate and enough flow will fill it. If you have an orbital sander use it as a vibrator on the pipe to consolidate the concrete into the pipe.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
If the issue is getting material to settle down the narrow tube; you don't think the grout or hydraulic cement will work?
Those that don't believe Rockite hydraulic cement will pour in a half inch pipe probably have never used it. If pancake batter could be poured then the cement will pour.

Copied from their site:

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:
"For pouring with a fluid consistency use 4-1/2 ounces of water per pound of cement or 1-1/2 pints for five pounds of cement. NOTE: Water and cement must be measured accurately".

I've mixed it to thin pancake batter consistency but when going from their recommendations to the thinner consistency minute amounts of water adjustment is recommended as the viscosity will change quickly.

If I can fill the tubing of this type of lawn chair during restoration you can fill a half inch pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I fill 1/2" steel pipe with cement?-chair-lawn-red-completed-10-7-07.jpg  
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Use 3/4" pipe and leave it open....or at least a small hole for water to get out....the only way ice is going to break it open is if it is totally full of water...if water has a way out...it will not be full of water.

Besides, sch 40 or 80 pipe is going to be hard to break even if it was full of water.

I think your over thinking it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

I've seen several instances of half full pipes freezing and breaking. Traps on homes that haven't been winterized are always a problem, and there is only water in the elbow of the trap and the water would be free to move up the pipe but it doesn't it moves out and cracks the abs.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by <*(((>< View Post
I've seen several instances of half full pipes freezing and breaking. Traps on homes that haven't been winterized are always a problem, and there is only water in the elbow of the trap and the water would be free to move up the pipe but it doesn't it moves out and cracks the abs.
Big difference between ABS and galvanized steel.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote