Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

Brick work

I have a couple of cracked bricks near the foundation at the corner of my house. (See pics). These aren't the best quality bricks, and I am thinking that perhaps the freezing temps, and the moisture caused these bricks to crack. There is not a stair-step pattern, so I am hoping it is not an issue with the foundation. Can I remove the cracked bricks and replace them without the corner of the house caving in???
Attached Thumbnails
Brick work-img_0228.jpg  

lchenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

Brick work

Since we can only see two bricks it's hard to suggest the best way to do it.
And no the house will not fall down if it's only a few bricks.
A 4-1/2" right angle grinder with a diamond blade, a 3/8 masonery drill bit, a hammer drill, brick chisle and a 2" wide chisle will be needed to do it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Brick work

Thanks joecaption: I have all the tools except the grinder, the hammer drill, and the brick chisle... I suppose these can be rented?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Brick work

Not sure if they can be rented, there not all that expencive to buy abd can be used on all sorts of other jobs. May want to check a Home Depot, they rent tools and also sell the Ryobi line of tools that would work fine for your job.
Since you do not have the tools at may be just as cheap to hire a mason to do the job. It would come out better any way if they did it in most cases.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Brick work

You're probably right about hiring a mason to do the job! I have to go to Home Depot anyway, so I will check these items out. Thanks, lch
Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Brick work

Joecaption you are right near me. I'm at James Store. Would the "3/8 drill bit be to remove the vertical mortar joint? Thanks.

Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote