Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

Brick veneer ventilation?

I've closed in a garage and am about to have it bricked in using the original brick. In the image below, you can see that there is an opening in the soffit. I think this is to allow the wall to breath into the attic (i.e., weep holes at bottom, vent at top)?

At any rate, the garage doesn't have it where the G door was (and much of that area is taken up by a large window (grey flashing and rightward). I seriously doubt that the 20' south-facing wall does either (previous owner closed it in and bricked it to make a garage when it was a car port).

So, given that I won't be able to recreate the vent, how important is it that the wall space between the brick and sheathing be vented (very, I think...)? Would creating additional "weep holes" at the top near the soffit work? If not, what is the best way to handle this, short of tearing down the existing brick wall?

I live in the deep south in a hot humid climate (6-8 mos out of the year).

Thanks,
Mark

Brick veneer ventilation?-brick_-img_9139.jpg

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post

So, given that I won't be able to recreate the vent, how important is it that the wall space between the brick and sheathing be vented (very, I think...)? Would creating additional "weep holes" at the top near the soffit work? If not, what is the best way to handle this, short of tearing down the existing brick wall?

I live in the deep south in a hot humid climate (6-8 mos out of the year).

Thanks,
Mark

Attachment 47428
Yes, if you can drill a few 1-1.5" holes relatively easy, maybe one or two per foot, they would certainly aid in venting off the back side of the wall. Personally, I would go through the effort myself knowing the advantages of a well vented brick wall.........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
rightit (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Yes, if you can drill a few 1-1.5" holes relatively easy, maybe one or two per foot, they would certainly aid in venting off the back side of the wall. Personally, I would go through the effort myself knowing the advantages of a well vented brick wall.........

Hi jomama...thanks for your response. Seeing your answer, it occurs to me that drilling that size hole near the top of the brick wall could present other issues, i.e., driving rain (south-facing wall) or insects and mice. Is this a valid concern?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly but a picture from farther out would certainly help. What's above that soffit area, an attic?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

Yes, attic. Here's a wide shot. Arrow is in same area:

Brick veneer ventilation?-brick_-img_9132.jpg