Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |

Brick Stoop Mortar Joints

Hello,

Wanted to get some input from the group regarding the brick stoop on the front of my house. I'm in the process of grinding the mortar joints to prepare for re-pointing. Most of the mortar joints on the steps and landing (Horizontal surfaces) are 3/4" to 1" wide. I believe the norm is 3/8"?? On to my question: I wanted to know how deep I should grind these joints. I've read 3/4" deep, and I've also read 2 1/2 times the width of the joint. Has anyone faced a similar situation? If so, how deep did you grind? To put it another way, if this were your project, how deep would you grind the joint? Also, anyone have any suggestions/techniques for grinding a wider joint? My angle grinder's grinding wheel is 1/4" thick, so, grinding a wide joint with this is not fun. This project is not fun no matter how one looks at it, but, it's got to be done.

Thanks...

ulrichfolkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #2

No Masons out there?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

3/4 - 1 inch is enough to take out normally. 1 inch thick bed joints are really big and normally don't look too good. You could cut them out with a hammer and plugging chisel. You can disguise thick joints by filling the joints with mortar coloured the same as the brickwork, and then later grind out a thinner joint and re-point.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. If no one had posted, I was thinking of grinding to a 1 inch depth as well. Good suggestion about disguising the wider joint. I'll post a pic in a bit.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Here a pic. Someone had suggested to grind on either side of a wider joint, then chisel out the middle. I've begun to do that. The vertical surface mortar joints are in pretty good shape, so my plan was to just grind out and re-point the horizontal joints (The landing and 2 steps). The stoop is not in the greatest of shape, but I was hoping to get a few more years out of it before I use a stick of dynamite on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Stoop Mortar Joints-img_0126a.jpg