Brick/Stone Patio Questions - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brick/Stone patio questions

I'll try to explain as best I can:

We have an area in our urban yard of 10'x14' that we are looking to pave with brick and stone. Brick in some areas, stone pavers in others.

Here's the rub: we can't excavate any dirt as we have no vehicle access to the yard and nowhere to put any dirt we actually dig up.

How can we 'build up' a perimeter around the area to then fill with our paper, screening and eventually brick and pavers?

I'd like to not have to pour a concrete 'curb' to contain the material.

Our calculations tell us with 4" of screening + height of brick @2.5" we're looking at needing a perimeter that needs to be 6-7" from ground level.

I was thinking pressure treated 4x4s with holes drilled which I will then sink rebar through, into the ground to hold it in place.

Any other ideas we could use that don't require concrete? Is my idea even worth trying?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

phrequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Wondering if you can slope up the adjacent areas to meet the finished height of the paved portion.

Not sure where you are located but not all "bricks" are frost proof which can end in real mess.

Advertisement

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrequency View Post
...we can't excavate any dirt as we have no vehicle access to the yard and nowhere to put any dirt we actually dig up.

Any other ideas we could use...
Yeah get creative with how you define/describe "vehicle"...
and while you're at it, don't use the word "can't" anymore.

Shovel what needs shoveling...
then wheel barrel or hand cart to where you do have vehicle access.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uesti