Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Share |

Brick Sealer for House - What to Use?

I recently had my brick house re-pointed and I want to seal it with a high-quality sealer that won't change the color of the brick and will offer good UV protection that will last many years.

I know enough to stay away from the cheaper stuff that they sell in the big box stores, so I was hoping you could recommend a good product that maybe I can get in a higher quality paint store or somewhere else.

I have approximately 1,000 sq. ft. of brick.

Thanks!

AdviceWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviceWanted View Post
I recently had my brick house re-pointed and I want to seal it with a high-quality sealer that won't change the color of the brick and will offer good UV protection that will last many years.

I know enough to stay away from the cheaper stuff that they sell in the big box stores, so I was hoping you could recommend a good product that maybe I can get in a higher quality paint store or somewhere else.

I have approximately 1,000 sq. ft. of brick.

Thanks!

Might not be a good idea to use a sealer, a repellent may be a better choice for brick,as to UV protection i dont think you will find anything that will last for many years,sealers and repellents have to be reapplied after a given period of time.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Prosoco Sure KleanŽ Weather Seal Siloxane PD
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

Water repellent vs. Brick sealer is a big big huge difference. I would not take the advice of applying any type of sealer on the brick. That may trap any moisture behind the brick and cause further problems. What you want to do is apply a water repellent...not a sealer.

I had a mystery leak into a 1st floor bay window only during wind driven rains. I had a local company that does brick restoration come in and he showed be a Rhilem Tube test to demonstrate how the brick can absorb water.

Here is an excellent video demonstrating a Rhilem Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFurv7A42tM

After learning that brick veneer--mortar joints and bricks--can absorb water, I had a water repellent made by Prosoco called Siloxane WB concentrate applied by to entire front brick veneer of the house. After the application, water beads off of the brick veneer as water would off the hood of a newly waxed car.

http://www.prosoco.com/Products/8258...6-57731831a3c9

The Prosoco product will not impair the natural breathing characteristics of treated surfaces.

As a note to others reading this. Above I referenced the Siloxane WB concentrate. This needs to be mixed on site with specific quantities of water. The company that applied it for me were the experts so thats what they used. They did tell me if I were to do it myself they recommended the Siloxane PD which is pre-diluted. Its ready to be applied right out of the container.

Last edited by hammerlane; 06-11-2013 at 08:50 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviceWanted View Post
and will offer good UV protection
Why would the brick need to be protected from UV?
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #6

that's what we use & have for years,,, NEVER any troubles either

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote