Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Brick Porch Rebuild

This is probably beyond my DIY skills, but I figured I would throw it out there for opinions. My 1956 porch is falling apart (Detroit area). While the slab is still fine, the bricks are just falling apart on their own. This has happened to most of the houses in my neighborhood - must have been some bad brick out there in 1956. Thankfully the rest of the house is made from different brick. The porch is 5 X 18'.

I'm waiting on a few people to come out and quote it. What would the repair process be for this? I'm assuming all of the brick should be removed and rebuilt. Also - what would be under the center of the slab? I am assuming there is more support than the outside brick holding it up.

I did have one guy give me a ballpark of $1100 based on these pictures. Reasonable?

Would it be cheaper to demolish the entire thing and build a smaller porch. I don't really use it and have considered putting in a bay window on the front which I think would look odd with a porch below.
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Porch Rebuild-img_20130405_124438-1-.jpg   Brick Porch Rebuild-img_20130405_124418-1-.jpg  

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 40

Brick Porch Rebuild

there's not much work in detroit according to the news so maybe that price is good,,, i'd bet $ 1,100 is less than demo'ing the porch & deck then rebuilding a smaller 1 in its place.

wait'll t.g sees this post concmasonary & t-scar may also chime in

stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Brick Porch Rebuild

First on-site quote came back at $900 yesterday and I will probably go with it. The second guy never showed up, but I will give him another day. I had a good referral from a friend who had their porch rebuilt last year by him. Our spring has been so cold and wet that they are still slow, so I can get it done as early as this week. I need to pull all the lava rock and kill off a couple plants to clear the way - new landscaping has been badly needed anyway.

I was actually expecting much worse for some reason.
tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote