Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

Brick/Flashing and moisture Barrier

Can someone help me with a problem I'm having...?

I am having a new home built and have some issues with the brickwork.

The flashing under the brick does not extend fully to the outer edge. (please see attached picture). From all the info I read on the bia.org website it seems to suggest this is not a good thing. What could potential happen if this is not done right? Is this a code or just a suggestion for best practice?

Also, the flashing was nailed to the framing and then the OSB/plywood was nailed to the frame and then the moisture barrier was wrapped around the house (you can see the exposed wood in the next picture). Is this the wrong method too? Should it be OSB/plywood, then flashing then wrap?

Finally the wrap used has been damaged in many places (small 1/4 tears) all over (I saw this before the brick went up and it was not repaired). Is this a problem and should it be replace?

The builder is trying to get their engineer to asses the situation and justify it; however, I would like another opinion, please.
Attached Images

peterholt1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 AM   #2

Brick/Flashing and moisture Barrier

Impossible to tell what there trying to do with those close up pictures.
http://www.endicott.com/pdf/Endicott...etails0410.pdf

http://www.maconline.org/tech/design/tying1/tying1.html