Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #1

Share |

Brick Fence

I have a couple of questions. I am looking at building a 5.5-6' tall brick fence does it need to be two bricks thick at a minimum? Does it have to have pillars or can it just be a wall? Any info would be grateful.

ruce22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Brick Fence

Thread moved- you might get better response here.

How long is the fence?
Have you designed a footing for it?
Are you in a cold climate? This will determine your footing depth.
Can you add your general location to your profile please?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Brick Fence

Call your local Building Department.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

Brick Fence

The fence will be 186'x189'x43' with two openings on the 43 foot side of 12' and 4' for gates. The general area is Tulsa, Ok and we are not in city limits so there is no real building department. I figure the footing will need to be at least 1 foot deep by 1 foot wide? I appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Brick Fence

So, call Tulsa, and build it to their specs.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Brick Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruce22 View Post
I have a couple of questions. I am looking at building a 5.5-6' tall brick fence does it need to be two bricks thick at a minimum? Does it have to have pillars or can it just be a wall? Any info would be grateful.
A wall that height would need to be 2 bricks thick minimum; you might also need stiffening piers at intervals, depending on your wind loading.

http://www.stgbc.org.uk/Downloads/GardensWalls.pdf

Last edited by tony.g; 06-24-2013 at 04:54 PM.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
ruce22 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #7

Brick Fence

Your footing probably also going to need to be deeper. Probably at least to the frost line depth in your area. As stated above it's definitely going to have to be to bricks thick with support posts and regular intervals, probably about 10'-12'.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Brick Fence

Thats what I was planning is 10-12' between post two bricks thick. I think I will need to tie the two walls together with ties? Any recommendations there? The wind can blow 40 MPH on any given day. The frost line is 10-15".
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Brick Fence

Why use metal ties? Why not use a brick bond, such as English Garden wall bond? (one row of headers [bricks places across the wall] to every 3 or 5 strechers [bricks placed along the wall]).

http://paultaborbrickwork.blogspot.c...k-bonding.html
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #10

Brick Fence

I was thinking Flemish Bond or ties wasn't sure which would work best or be strongest? I would like to not have stiffening piers which I may not be able to do. How do I tie those to the wall sections? The fence is 43' x 189' x 186' x 109' I missed a dimension above. Was trying to get the best ideas so I can tell them how I want this wall built and feel good that it will last.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #11

Brick Fence

Flemish bond is one of the most attractive bonds but is difficult to do. You have to make sure the header bricks (ie the bricks going through the thickness of the wall) are all in a vertical line, otherwise it looks bad.

If you're not used to bricklaying, plain strecher bond with metal ties (stainless, not galvanised) may be easiest. As to which is 'strongest', it doesn't strictly apply to low, free-standing walls because they don't carry much vertical load. But at a pinch, bonding the bricks - in whatever pattern - will have the edge.

At that height, you will probably need some stiffening piers at about 12-15ft centres. You may also need to consider some movement joints at intervals, as your walls are long.

Does your local building authority not give any guidance on boundary walls?
Although the manual work here is DIY-able, it may still be prudent to consult an SE on such things as the size of piers needed, the need for movement joints, and mortar-type etc. An SE will also be aware of local conditions, such as wind-loading.

EDIT; (sorry, didn't realize you were getting someone to do it, but still prudent to get advice rather than rely wholly on the bricklayers opinions).

Last edited by tony.g; 06-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Tags
brick, fence construction