Brick Building - Water Damage - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

brick building - water damage

Hey - originally posted this in the Plaster section (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/crum...-damage-189824) but this seems like it's more of a brick issue.

Got a church building built in 1931, brick exterior, plaster on the inside. Getting some really ugly damage from moisture that's getting through the brick. What I need to know is, how do we fix it? From what research I've done, it seems like the brick needs to allow the water vapor in and out, or it'll freeze and cause damage in the brick. But in heavy rains, we don't want the water seeping through and damaging the plaster on the inside. Bottom line is, I'm ignorant on this whole thing - how do we protect the brick and plaster at the same time?

Someone local recommended doing a water repellant treatment, which would last up to ten years. I'm wondering if that would fix the problem. People want to paint the interior and I'm holding them off because this issue needs to be fixed first. I'd hate to come up with the wrong solution
Attached Images

Advertisement

guruofgentoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

How thick is the brick wall? Also have you got a photo of the exterior.

Advertisement

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,164

Water repellant is the solution,whatever you do DO NOT SEAL IT,but it all depends on where your located,as it may be to late in the season to do it temperature wise.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486

you MAY have specific leak locations causing the water penetration & interior damage so repair them 1st ( brick replacement / repointing / flashing )

after that, suggest exterior cleaning followed by application of a waterproofing sealer ( silicone siloxane - prosoco or another reputable manufacturer ) [ no financial interest ]
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick , sealers , water damage