Breaking Up Concrete Near Basement Wall - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

breaking up concrete near basement wall

I'm plumbing my basement bath. The 2" vent pipes will run inside a 2x4 framed wall on the outside wall of the basement....therefore, I'll need to dig out the concrete in a couple of spaces relatively close to the foundation-about 2 inches off the wall. The concrete appears to be approximately 6" in these places.

Is it OK to notch out the concrete in a couple of places that close to the foundation walls so that I can run the pipes from under the ground up inside the wall?

Advertisement

benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Ayuh,... Just how Deep ya plan on diggin',..??

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Not very deep, just enough to bring the vent pipe up out of the hole and into the wall....I could probably get away with making at 2.5" notch about 4" down.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,470

based o your dimensions, you'd probably be ok as the foundation should be at least 16" wide x 12" tall,,, i'd feel much better if you diamond core-drill'd the holes but, if you're careful, using a 4" grinder & diamond blade'll make quick work of the task,,, careful w/the chipping gun, too !.

' outside wall of the basement ' is still inside, right ? what's the 6" measurement - the thickness of the foundation ? most modern footers have 2 lengths of # 4rebar in the conc footer but doesn't necessarily mean yours does
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Yes, inside the basement near the concrete wall. Here is a picture to give a better Idea. I'm going to frame a wall on the side where the window is. I will need to run 3 2" vent pipes up from the ground into that wall. I've broken out the patch work that was already there, but need to get closer to the wall for the vent pipes. the 6 inches was an estimate of how thick the concrete is where I need to break it out to get closer to the wall---it could be 8", but I'm not sure if that is the thickness of the floor or I've hit the footer...

Basically I need to do what the person before me did for that copper vent pipe...but not sure if I'm allowed/should.
Attached Thumbnails
breaking up concrete near basement wall-photobr.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,470

you live in pa, right ? somewhere between easton & philly ?

allowed ? of course you're allowed - its your home, isn't it ?,,, just remember the shame of calling a plumber to repair YOUR f/u will soon be spread about town don't ask me how i know - i just know
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #7

No, I live on Long Island. Haha. Fortunately I have a plumber friend of mine coming to help me do the plumbing work, but I have to get everything ready, including digging and framing the walls.

I know I'm "allowed" but am I going to f anything up? That may be rhetorical haha, but am I going to mess up the foundation or anything by doing so?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Why do you need to move it closer to the wall?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Why do you need to move it closer to the wall?
I don't need to move it closer to the wall, but I'm properly venting the fixtures and my vent pipes will need to run up inside the 2x4 framed wall I will be building. That particular copper pipe will be removed and three vent pipes, one from each fixture will run up inside the wall. Therefore, I need to run up from the concrete floor through the sill plate of the wall. The sill plate will start about 2 inches off the wall---
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
I don't need to move it closer to the wall, but I'm properly venting the fixtures and my vent pipes will need to run up inside the 2x4 framed wall I will be building. That particular copper pipe will be removed and three vent pipes, one from each fixture will run up inside the wall. Therefore, I need to run up from the concrete floor through the sill plate of the wall. The sill plate will start about 2 inches off the wall---
Ayuh,.... Even though copper through concrete ain't the greatest idea, it's there...

Just hammer out that pipe, 'n enlarge that hole wide enough to accomidate the pipes yer puttin' in...

That little hole, even 3 times bigger, ain't gonna cause the house to keel over or nothin'...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #11

Thanks, I didn't think it would cause any harm but wanted to make sure. I may see if I can get my hands on a core drill though just to make life easier and the work cleaner
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Your basement slab "should" be independent of the wall footer (foundation) Unless you are digging out a foot of material below the 4" slab you will be fine.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
Your basement slab "should" be independent of the wall footer (foundation) Unless you are digging out a foot of material below the 4" slab you will be fine.
Definitely not digging anywhere near a foot down--but I'm beginning to realize that "should" is a very operative word when dealing with a 90 year old house.

Advertisement