Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bowed block wall bsmt, Structural Engineer cost?

I have a small home built in the mid 50s, it has a -severely- bowed block wall basement. I am a fairly handy guy so I intended to repair it myself... originally.
I now have realized it is beyond my capabilities so I have asked around and was told my best bet was to hire a structural engineer to draw up plans. I was told by an engineering company that it would cost $600 to do the inspection of the basement and an additional $600 to draw up the plans. Before I go ahead with this... Does this sound on par? If not, can anyone make suggestions?

Kellxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,016

I know I can expect $800 for an inspection and report (if there is an issue with the foundation), and then the design & specifications are based upon what needs to be done, and the time necessary to prepare them

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,170

my structural pe charges $350 for inspections & opinions & $ 600 for reports,,, find a bsmt wtrproofing co & ask them for the plans then have the pe review 'em,,, most decent wtrproofers have good working relationships w/pe's,,, we're used to replacing walls, stabilizing structures, & getting pe's to agree w/us odds're good your foundation's fine,,, consider conc for the next wall IF it needs replacement,,, otherwise, carbon fiber straps, exposed steel beams, or concealed conc/steel wall pins are the answer - this is in atl
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (04-09-2013)