Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Share |
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


well spent 10 hours chiseling out the old cement joints between these massive blue stones at my house today and had a couple questions for you guys


1) The sub floor these stones are on is almost a sandy/fine gravel cement mix of some sort and there is a weeping tile system around the patio But my question is will it be ok? i had ACL surgery a few months ago and the last thing i want to do is lift these monsters and pour a new slab

2) what Brand or kind of cement will hold up the longest? i picked up a few bags of some motor/cement mix but idk if its the rite one to use


Oh also do i need a expansion joint along the patio slab or just use tar paper?


any help would be great guys!!!! thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Stone help needed! pics inside-dsc00904.jpg   Blue Stone help needed! pics inside-dsc00906.jpg   Blue Stone help needed! pics inside-dsc00907.jpg   Blue Stone help needed! pics inside-dsc00909.jpg  

629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
bbo
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Packerland !!
Posts: 1,016
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


id be tempted to pack some of that moss stuff between those joints ... you got some nice stones.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,404
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by 629RWHPstang View Post
well spent 10 hours chiseling out the old cement joints between these massive blue stones at my house today and had a couple questions for you guys


1) The sub floor these stones are on is almost a sandy/fine gravel cement mix of some sort and there is a weeping tile system around the patio But my question is will it be ok? i had ACL surgery a few months ago and the last thing i want to do is lift these monsters and pour a new slab

2) what Brand or kind of cement will hold up the longest? i picked up a few bags of some motor/cement mix but idk if its the rite one to use


Oh also do i need a expansion joint along the patio slab or just use tar paper?


any help would be great guys!!!! thanks again


Sounds like the proper base is there,why not use polymeric sand insted of mortar,and no you don't need expansion joint or tarpaper.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Sounds like the proper base is there,why not use polymeric sand insted of mortar,and no you don't need expansion joint or tarpaper.
gaps between the stone are to big for that no?
629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Member
 
Ravenworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 598
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Plant grass between the stones
__________________
U.S.M.C. "80-84" E.O.D. 1369
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,404
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by 629RWHPstang View Post
gaps between the stone are to big for that no?


HP2 will work.

http://www.techniseal.com/web/polymeric-sand.php?pl=13
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post

Nice stuff! so you would chose that over mortar?
629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,679
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Both mortared joints or polymeric sanded joints will require some maintenance though the years, but the poly is far easier, and DIY friendly, to repair..........

The only way to ensure a long lifespan out of mortared joints is if the bluestone were to be wet-set over a rigid foundation, like a re-enforced concrete slab......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,404
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by 629RWHPstang View Post
Nice stuff! so you would chose that over mortar?



Absolutely,my motto is the less work the better!
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Absolutely,my motto is the less work the better!

haha i like that well i picked up a bag of portland to mix myself to do the edges then ill decide if i want to use the sand like stuff or the pre mixed mortar
629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,404
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Quote:
Originally Posted by 629RWHPstang View Post
haha i like that well i picked up a bag of portland to mix myself to do the edges then ill decide if i want to use the sand like stuff or the pre mixed mortar


Your call,good luck!
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


After pics
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Stone help needed! pics inside-dsc00951.jpg   Blue Stone help needed! pics inside-dsc00955.jpg  
629RWHPstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,404
Default

Blue Stone help needed! pics inside


Looks great,i like the contrast.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing the color of stone misayo Interior Decorating 3 01-16-2012 02:59 PM
Another stone facing thread... paredown Building & Construction 0 12-06-2011 03:27 PM
blue color inside of wall switch TableTiger1 Electrical 5 08-05-2009 09:53 PM
Deck - 45 spindles - advice wanted (pics inside) Kevin K Building & Construction 21 06-06-2007 10:28 AM
This is bad, right? (pics inside) dalesd Roofing/Siding 8 02-16-2006 08:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.