Blown Out Block Face Repair - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Jack of all trades

Rewards Points: 10

Blown out block face repair

Hello fellow DIYers. Came across a repair I have not done before. Looking for anyone with experience with this situation. I am working on a site where the block face has blown out or has severely deteriorated on a commercial store. I am including photos for reference. I am wondering if anyone has a suggested repair procedure and material they prefer to use in this situation. I would use just a mortar mix and a standard bonding glue if it was in a different location, but this is in a higher wall and I am worried about failure and possible injuries if it fails. Therefore price is not an object, but something reasonable is always good if it is safe. I am thinking an epoxy type repair would be the best but looking for someone with some expertise to guide me to the correct procedure and material. See attached pic.

If anyone has the knowledge and expertise, would appreciate some help.
Attached Thumbnails
Blown out block face repair-block-face-repair.jpg  

Advertisement

Superintendent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486

you'll find vertical & overhead repair mortars @ any const supply house,,, we'd probably chip down to good, anchor some expanded s/s wire mesh, then lay on the repr mortar,,, you can color the mix wtr w/pigments from sher-wms,,, always start light 'cause you can't go light IF you begin too dark,,, the key is polymer-modified - epoxies are not exterior useable NOR uv resistant,,, polyureas & polyaspartics are but they're VERY tricky

what you're looking for is something like ' cathedral ' stone repr mortar however you can't buy that as its proprietary to licensed artisans,,, just ask for vert repr stuff - just like in a tunnel - good luck !

sorry i miss'd this - irc

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (06-15-2014), Superintendent (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Jack of all trades

Thanks for the info, I went with a quickset mortar while using a bonding agent. One base coat to fill the large voids then a final coat to get me close to the finish surface. When chipping out the bad block, I found that the surface was an actual tile only an 1/8" thick. So I finished the application with a VCT applied with a structural adhesive and then applied a caulking to replicate the mortar joints. Will apply a primer then apply our finish paint coat.

Last edited by Superintendent; 06-16-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Trying to apply photo of finish
Old 06-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Jack of all trades

Here is a pic of the completed work prior to primer-
Attached Thumbnails
Blown out block face repair-small-block-repair.jpg