Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #1

Share |

Block window sills

Anyone have any ideas for an exterior block window sill? My basement is made from concrete poured cinderblock. I will be putting in a window and need to figure out the sills.

thanks

Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Block window sills

I take it that these are standard width blocks. I would just frame it with Pressure treated, and then put in the window. You will need to put in concrete or mortar into the opening in the bottom, or seal along the front and sides where the wood will fit against the block, before securing with Tapcons.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #3

Block window sills

The whole is already cut - 24 x 48. No room for bucks. Window will be a tight fit with Tapcons. Need to install a window sill of some sort. Yes 8x8x16 blocks.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Block window sills

You need to cut that opening wider for the bucks. Just placing the window in that raw opening, you are really looking at problems later on, when the window decides to expand and contract.

You can order the windows with a built in sill if you wish. Also if you are looking at using the basement area as living space (ie entertainment area, office), you will need an egress window also, unless you have a walk out basement.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Block window sills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You need to cut that opening wider for the bucks. Just placing the window in that raw opening, you are really looking at problems later on, when the window decides to expand and contract.

You can order the windows with a built in sill if you wish. Also if you are looking at using the basement area as living space (ie entertainment area, office), you will need an egress window also, unless you have a walk out basement.
The basement home is in AZ. We have little to no expansion on the windows. The basement is pretty much a constant 77 degrees.

This window is an egress window. The previous owner took out the window, and filled in the hole. I knocked out the hole in part tonight and notice the lintel is still there - thank God.

All the other windows in the basement are aluminum and were put in when the house was built 1993. They too are egress and are the same size as this window 24" x 48". No bucks in the other windows. They are screwed directly into the block. There appears there were no expansion issues.

The other windows have block sills. It looks like the existing block but turned to the side with rounded ends. I don't know where to find these blocks.

The big box stores don't carry them. Thought about calling a brick yard but there aren't really any in the greater Phoenix area.
thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Block window sills

You are not looking for a brick yard, although there are plenty in the Phoenix area, you are looking for a block yard, and specifically for a CMU sill unit. You can also use various other shapes, do a search for "CMU shape sheet" to see what is possibly available.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Block window sills

TS has it right about some producers making a selection of sill block. Not all provide a wide product line because of the $10,000 mold cost and low volumes.

I worked for a block company that made sill blocks for 6", 8" and 12" thick walls in two different heights (3-5/8" and 7 5/8").

The real benefit was they all had a good drip edge on the overhang or projection.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote