Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to fill this in?

I just repaired and moved out a baseboard hydronic heater that was butted up against the concrete half-wall in the walkout walkout basement I am re-finishing. The copper pipe for the heater comes up through the cement floor.

I originally opened it up just to move it out awy from the wall so I could insulate the wall properly.

It looks as though it may have been leaking under there because there is alot of hollow space under the concrete in this area. There is maybe 4 inches of slab on top of what feels like dirt or sand. I can see and feel around under there through the hole I made. The floor sounds hollow when you tap on it along this wall area for a couple of feet in each direction.

I was originally just going to fill in around the new pipe with hydraulic cement but now Im not so sure. Would it be wise to fill some of this empty space with expanding foam first? I know they use some type of foam for jacking up and supporting foundations but not sure if it is the
Same type of foam.

What would be the best repair for this situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to fill this in?-image-4219460684.jpg  

Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
DIY staff

Pack the pipe with foam insulation----refill the hole with gravel or sand----then a 3" layer of concrete mix----

jomama45 (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #3

pipe wasn't sleeved ? that may not have beeb std practice in your area back then.

if it had been leaking, what caused the leak to stop ? just the natural corrosion/junk that happens/collects over years of operating ?,,, couple ' in either direction for the hollow drum sound then it gets 'solid' again ?

4" is right - even 3" or 5" for a bsmt floor but your pic looks odd for some reason - when you broke out the floor did some of the thickness spall off ?,,, IF the floor hasn't moved, i wouldn't mess w/it ( unless some engineer posts a cogent reason to the contrary in which case i'll change my tune quick ) expansive soil would've caused the floor to come up & pop the heater's connections so that's probably not an issue,,, just a wag but the floor was placed prior to the excavation backfill next to the foundation walls - rainwater collected in the open excavation & drained under the footer thence under the slab washing away some base,,, the floor should be sitting on top of the footer ( floating slab construction ) is that the case ?

we do slabjack w/foam but not foam-in-a-can - i'd push bagg'd grout under there IF it were a big concern but i'm thinking its not going to be

( don't forget i reserve the right to change my mind/alter/edit the reply )

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
DIY staff

Hydronic Baseboard Mounted To Concrete Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

This is one reason that it is wise to keep all project questions in one thread---(lack of details mentioned in the earlier thread)

The pipe was sleeved with foam---piping was extended to allow proper insulation of the foundation wall-----
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #5

Sorry... I thought it would be best to start a new one in the proper section. Since I was asking about filling in the concrete and void below not plumbing, I assumed it was the best thing to do.

I have and will have alot more questions while doing some renovations on our new place. Would it be best to have a single thread to ask all my questions? Or should I keep spreading them around to the related sub-forums?

I am greatful for all the help and advice I have been getting. Thank you to everyone here!
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
DIY staff

You ment the best,but you can see where the confusion can easily occur----Most members do not use the individual forums--instead they go to 'new posts' or 'todays posts' when searching the forums.

When you have future projects---start a new thread on that topic and let it run its course---

Some members will keep everything in one thread---often in 'project showcase'
But most will start a new thread for different phases----here you were doing hvac/plumbing----

The next one might be framing and insulation--after that ,perhaps one on drywall---then ,maybe trim----

Do what you feel comfortable with---this is your site,too---figure out what works best and enjoy your time here----I was just trying to give you a heads up on what usually works best ,with the least confusion----Mike----
federer (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #7

mike is the best!
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Guywithskills

Do not put cement against copper pipe, it will corrode the pipe. I would spray a simple home depot termite spray and foam it. Call it good. This is not a structural experience. You just want a seal. If you do foam spray max 2or 3" and let cure out. The can stuff is air cure. Will take a little time. I have seen thicker where the air cant get to it. What a gooey nasty mess.

Guywithskills is offline   Reply With Quote