Best Way To Cut Mosaic Tiles For Backsplash - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best way to cut mosaic tiles for backsplash

I'm going to be putting up mosaic tiles for my backsplash. The one we picked out has 1" x 2" pieces that make up an (almost) 12"x12" sheet. However, the sheets are the interlocking type which don't have edges that are flush and even, they are jagged, alternating rows. This means I need to cut every other row down for the sheets that will be placed as edge pieces.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'll only have a max of 12 sheets to cut that need the edges flush and even, so 6 small 1" tiles per each of these sheets. I'm thinking about using a dremel tile cutting bit to take on this task. If this is a good idea, can someone recommend a good tile bit or saw bit? If this isn't a good idea, any other recommendations on how to do this?

The tiles are some sort of natural stone by the way, not glass.

Advertisement

pdp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,464

here's what i did when my bride, nagzilla, wanted to replace our perfectly good c-tops w/granite,,, the elevation of the granite was higher & the c-top guys said they'd have to remove a row of tile,,, i snapp'd a line instead & used a tile blade on my 4" grinder,,, since then someone on this list post'd that there are now diamond blades for a dremel,,, no reason that won't work + you get to own a NEW TOOL having someone hold your wet/dry vac suck-up nozzle in the dust stream will be a GREAT help when it comes to cleaning up tho i'd expect you could to the sawing outside,,, good luck ! ! !

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
here's what i did when my bride, nagzilla, wanted to replace our perfectly good c-tops w/granite,,, the elevation of the granite was higher & the c-top guys said they'd have to remove a row of tile,,, i snapp'd a line instead & used a tile blade on my 4" grinder,,, since then someone on this list post'd that there are now diamond blades for a dremel,,, no reason that won't work + you get to own a NEW TOOL having someone hold your wet/dry vac suck-up nozzle in the dust stream will be a GREAT help when it comes to cleaning up tho i'd expect you could to the sawing outside,,, good luck ! ! !
That was me in the other thread to which someone recommended a diamond blade for a dremel to notch out a bit of my quartz countertop. If that is the best blade/bit on the dremel to also cut natural stone mosaic tiles, then I'll be happy to reuse it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other bit out there, or even some other method, that would be easier and have less chance of breaking or cracking the individual small tiles in the mosaic.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020614...1v&R=202061498
Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Would that work for my case where the individual tiles on a 12"x12" sheet are 1" x 2"?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,464

i'd grout the stuff to the wall & cut it in place but joe's probably a better tile guy than i still can't get my head past the danger of using a blade while cutting a backer mat, tho
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 632

I use a wooden concrete flaot I had laying around and added a narrow strip of 1/4 plywood on the bottom side on the end.
It holds it down tight to the table and keeps your hands away from the blade.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=1
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 986

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2032657...4#.UW18VD7cRok

Advertisement

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote