Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Share |

Best way to apply overlay?

I'm about to have my first go at applying a decorative concrete overlay in a bathroom that's about 10'x12'. What tool or tools are best to apply it? Hand trowel, rounded bull float....?

fatboyelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

squeegee. pool trowel, or ' magic trowel ' & sometimes all 3 + a mason brush,,, our squeegees range from 4' to 1' - we also apply w/cleaning brooms, rectangular AND pool trowels.

don't be surprised if this goes all to **it,,, wish we knew of what the underlying surface is built,,, we'd then be in a better position to frame an answer,,, work isn't all that difficult 'til 1 makes a painful error - then you'll wish you had taken some training class's & had a distributor to call who also has worn knees & rough hands,,, im-n-s-h-fo, most sources avail to ho's & diy'ers don't know **it when it comes to actually working w/the mtls they sell if you want to post OR priv mess the mtl, i'll let you know anything we do.

nevertheless, we're all guaranteed the right to err - good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
fatboyelroy (03-29-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
squeegee. pool trowel, or ' magic trowel ' & sometimes all 3 + a mason brush,,, our squeegees range from 4' to 1' - we also apply w/cleaning brooms, rectangular AND pool trowels.

don't be surprised if this goes all to **it,,, wish we knew of what the underlying surface is built,,, we'd then be in a better position to frame an answer,,, work isn't all that difficult 'til 1 makes a painful error - then you'll wish you had taken some training class's & had a distributor to call who also has worn knees & rough hands,,, im-n-s-h-fo, most sources avail to ho's & diy'ers don't know **it when it comes to actually working w/the mtls they sell if you want to post OR priv mess the mtl, i'll let you know anything we do.

nevertheless, we're all guaranteed the right to err - good luck !
I'm much obliged for the advice. As for the distributor I do have a certain degree of skepticism. I bought a Kemiko product from them by the name of Acribond. Its an acrylic polymer modifier that can be added to a variety of mixes. So far I've used it patch some holes in concrete walls and damaged areas on a concrete floor and am pleased with the results. What leaves me kind of wondering are the instructions they gave me regarding overlays. I was told to mix the modifier with water, 2 parts to 1 and pure cement and nothing else. Does that sound right? I figure I should at least add a fine sand.
fatboyelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

i think kemiko's come a long way but they may be still 3rd tier is most pro's opinions,,, the std polymer mix is acrylic but hybrid polymers are much more expensive, predictable, easier to lay down, & last FAR longer,,, i used k once when the client insisted ( acid stain ),,, i learned from that - the next time a client said ' k ', i walked the problems we had fell on deaf ears from the supplier,,, @ least w/eliteCrete, IF we had trouble, our distributor had the experience, knowhow, & patience = PRICELESS 1

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote