Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Share |

Best Pre-Mix Mortar for Veneer Stone

I was at HD the other day shopping for materials for an exterior stone veneer project. I provide the materials and a friend of the family will do the masonry work. In the aisle with mortar mixes, I saw Quickcrete Mortar Mix and the label on the rack said it was for veneer stone. I asked the guy working in the aisle and he confirmed that was the right stuff. So I bought 6 bags.

Yesterday I'm looking at a Quickcrete video and they suggest "Veneer Stone Polymer Modified" mortar saying it had better holding properties. FWIW, the stone will be installed over plywood with paper and 2.5# mesh over that, on either side of the garage door, in a column fashion.

Should I take the mortar mix back and try to find the polymer modified mortar? HD doesn't carry it.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Not so new

Have you checked the veneer manufacturers website for
their recommendation?

12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (09-06-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #3

just my ns-h-fo but neither the apron OR vest store carry bldg mtls that require knowledgeable sales personnel,,, look for a const supply house for that material,,, polymer-mod'd mtls are MUCH better - flexibility, tension, compressive, & holding strength
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Cruising into the sunset

The manufacturer says to use the pre-mix mortar or an S mortar & sand mixed on site. They said you CAN use a bonding agent but don't require it.

I've been looking for a specialty store in the area. The one I used to go to is gone. I'll keep checking.

Quickcrete claims their polymer modified stone veneer mortar has twice the holding strength of their regular mortar. All I have to do is find it!
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Just buy a gallon of bonding admixture and put a few ounces into each batch/bag. You'll end up with the same result.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote