Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Share |
Question

Best Adhesive for Stone Veneer on Exterior Surfaces?

I'll be installing cast stone on the outside of my house. The last time I did something like this was about 30 years ago and it was inside around a fireplace. Back then I used standard mortar to adhere the stone to the lath.

When we were in the store checking out the stone veneer, the sales guy mentioned something about an adhesive that brought to mind a tile adhesive I used recently to set tile. It feels like dry silicone when cured and bonds much better than the mortar type.

Then he said, "It's weatherproof and will last forever." Or something to that effect.

So we took home the brochure he gave us and decided to order the stone. In the brochure it details the installation and states using standard mortar to adhere the stone to the lath.

Did I misunderstand him? Or is there a better product out there now than mortar for adhering the stone to the lath?

Last edited by JulieMor; 05-26-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I'll be installing cast stone on the outside of my house. The last time I did something like this was about 30 years ago and it was inside around a fireplace. Back then I used standard mortar to adhere the stone to the lath.

When we were in the store checking out the stone veneer, the sales guy mentioned something about an adhesive that brought to mind a tile adhesive I used recently to set tile. It feels like dry silicone when cured and bonds much better than the mortar type.

Then he said, "It's weatherproof and will last forever." Or something to that effect.

So we took home the brochure he gave us and decided to order the stone. In the brochure it details the installation and states using standard mortar to adhere the stone to the lath.

Did I misunderstand him? Or is there a better product out there now than mortar for adhering the stone to the lath?

Probably best to ask the manufacturer if you can use an alternative to mortar.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

You always want to use type S mortar for any exterior stone application (natural or PC). The only time you would use high strength adhesive would be for any indoor use. The adhesive has not been proven (yet) to stand up against the elements. Now, i have installed every kind of real or precast stone imaginable and have never had a problem using mortar. I am not saying that the adhesive would not hold up but IMO it would be a risk. If any of the stones were to "fall off" at any given time, the fix would be quite simple. More adhesive.

Do a "test" area and see how you it holds up. If your confident in the results, roll with it. Obviously your using a drystack stone so make sure to keep everything as tight as possible to lock all the stones together.

NEVER LISTEN TO LOWES/HOME DEPOT sales associates. Always check manufacturer specs or consult professional. GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

The point where you should have know he was full of BS is when he said it would "last forever".....

Nothing wrong with Type S or N mortar, every manufacturer I've ever used has recommended one or the other. If you want to play it extra safe, you could also add a few ounces of bonding agent per batch as well.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
The point where you should have know he was full of BS is when he said it would "last forever"......
And ever and ever and ever...riiight
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Cruising into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEPRO View Post
You always want to use type S mortar for any exterior stone application (natural or PC).
The instructions from the manufacturer said to use 1 part N type cement with 2 parts masonry sand. I'm an electrician. This is all Greek to me. What's the difference?

Quote:
NEVER LISTEN TO LOWES/HOME DEPOT sales associates.
It was a Menard's sales associate, so I guess he's okay.

Anyway, I drew this up in case I have to get a permit. How does this look?

The manufacturer claims no structural changes are required, like a brick ledge. I want to bump the columns out on either side of the garage 12". I have a 24" overhang there so that's not a problem. But I'm wondering about the weight. Each column could weigh 1,000 lbs or more. I plan on using 3/8" or 1/2" lag screws into the studs and top plate but will that be enough?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

Nice plans. What program did you use?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Cruising into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Nice plans. What program did you use?
AutoCAD MEP 2008.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

I like the fact that you're "padding" out the stone from the existing wall so much, as long as you have plenty of room to tuck it under the overhangs yet, as well as a adequate way to keep the column from sagging........
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
The instructions from the manufacturer said to use 1 part N type cement with 2 parts masonry sand. I'm an electrician. This is all Greek to me. What's the difference?

Hears a little guide to remember mortar strengths, Descending from Strongest to weakest. M a S o N. Not sure if type M is even used anymore but N and S are the two common mortars. S is used for structural masonry and N is used for Veneer. I use the strong stuff for stone even tho N is more commonly used. I like my walls overkilled forever!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
Cruising into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I like the fact that you're "padding" out the stone from the existing wall so much, as long as you have plenty of room to tuck it under the overhangs yet, as well as a adequate way to keep the column from sagging........
I've got the room under the overhang. Even with the 12" bump out, I'll have 12" left. The sagging should be resolved with the 1/2" plywood. My biggest concern is hanging it on the existing structure.

Quote:
Hears a little guide to remember mortar strengths, Descending from Strongest to weakest. M a S o N. Not sure if type M is even used anymore but N and S are the two common mortars. S is used for structural masonry and N is used for Veneer. I use the strong stuff for stone even tho N is more commonly used. I like my walls overkilled forever!
Now I know. Thanks! I like the overkill factor too. I think I'll go with the S. Is it any harder to work with?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #12

No its pretty much the same. And don't use 2-1 to mix it either more like 2.6-1. You don't want it too "sticky". Then it can become a little difficult to work with. Gl
Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Type M is still typically used for below grade work, such as crawlspace & frost wall foundations, full basement's, etc.......
Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
I've got the room under the overhang. Even with the 12" bump out, I'll have 12" left. The sagging should be resolved with the 1/2" plywood. My biggest concern is hanging it on the existing structure.
Not sure how I missed the info you gave under the post with the drawings........

What about replacing all of those 2x4's with 2x10's and either toe-screwing them in, or screw an additional 2x4 to the side of each for fastening them to the existing studs??
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #15

I live in coastal virginia so 99 percent of my work is right at sea level so i never work below ground for anything. Cant say iv ever even mixed a bag of M.