Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Windows - Please Help

I need some help and guidance on DIY repair for exterior of my basement windows (close to the ground). There are minor cracks around the joints where brick veneer and basement concrete foundation meets. I don't have any issues with leakage etc. But, I realize that it can cause issues in the long run. Please note that home is about 8 years old.

Please see the picture here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1038409...65042040776050

I am newbie to the DIY concept. So, any details, links and references you can provide for the solution will greatly help.

Should I caulk/seal these cracks or apply a patch of mortar? In addition, should I also consider painting with some kind of waterproofing paint?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Last edited by spidercharm; 08-27-2012 at 06:14 PM.
spidercharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 554

It looks like someone got a bit overzealous with the mortar on the exterior. It also looks like your space on the left is greater than on the right.

Ideally, there will be a 1/4-3/8" gap all around the window. This gap is filled with insulation, then some backer rod, then it is caulked.

You can remove that mortar and make it right if that abomination is less than 5/8. I don't think you can caulk more than 5/8 and I think you'll have a hard time buying backer rod over 5/8.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
spidercharm (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
It looks like someone got a bit overzealous with the mortar on the exterior. It also looks like your space on the left is greater than on the right.

Ideally, there will be a 1/4-3/8" gap all around the window. This gap is filled with insulation, then some backer rod, then it is caulked.

You can remove that mortar and make it right if that abomination is less than 5/8. I don't think you can caulk more than 5/8 and I think you'll have a hard time buying backer rod over 5/8.
Thanks cleveman. That makes a lot of sense. I will try to scrap off some mortar to make space for caulking. I think depth of the cracks may not be more than 1/4th inch though. In that case, I probably don't need the backer rod.

I was considering DAP Dynaflex 230 for caulking. I am not sure if epoxy would be a better option compared to caulking. Are there any epoxy product you would recommend for masonry cracks that will work in my vertical and overhead situation?
spidercharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 554

I don't think you need any epoxy.

Upon closer inspection, that window may be mounted too far in.

That may explain the mass or mortar on the left jamb. There is probably only 1/2 brick there to work with, so you may have to bring the window out a bit.

New construction windows may only have 1" from the nailing flange to the edge. This is all they need. 1/2 air space, then the window will project out 1/2" into the brickwork. But those foundation windows probably don't have any fins on them, so you can mount them wherever you want.

If the sill slopes away, you can mount them in the opening. Otherwise, you probably want them as close as possible to the outside edge. No reason to let water sit on the sill and run into the window opening.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote