Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Basement Wall Crack Low Pressure Injection

Guys,

I found several cracks on my basemen walls. They don't leak waters (at least not yet). The house is 7 years old and it is in Manassas, VA area.

I am planning to seal them with epoxy or polyurethane low pressure injection.
My guess is that the cracks don't grow hence I am thinking to use epoxy injection. If you think I should go with polyurethane injection, please let me know.

I am considering one of these two. Let me know if any of you have experience with any of them, or if there is other that is more economical I looked in Lowes, but they don't have it

http://www.appliedtechnologies.com/h...poxy_kits.html

http://www.emecole.com/categories/Al...k-Repair-Kits/

Thanks,
Nick

325_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

Why are you going to use epoxy or poly,when you can achieve the same result with hydraulic cement, those two products are quite pricey.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

The advantage of epoxy versus hydraulic cement is that the epoxy is low viscosity, hence can be injected deep into the cracks using the special injectors. Hydraulic cement cannot be injected deep into the cracks using generally available tools and equipment. The epoxy will do a very nice job sealing the cracks, and if the cracks do not expand any further, the repair will be permanent.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
The advantage of epoxy versus hydraulic cement is that the epoxy is low viscosity, hence can be injected deep into the cracks using the special injectors. Hydraulic cement cannot be injected deep into the cracks using generally available tools and equipment. The epoxy will do a very nice job sealing the cracks, and if the cracks do not expand any further, the repair will be permanent.

Very interesting explanation,and that's a pretty big if with the epoxy or poly costing a couple hundred dollars.

" and if the cracks do not expand any further, the repair will be permanent."
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

Epoxy is pretty rigid after it sets, but urethane is going to have more "give". I would assume your house will continue to settle/move with the seasons and over the years. Plus it expads as it sets.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

we routinely inject conc wall crks w/hydrophyllic polyurethane to stop wtr leaks,,, hydraulic is used ONLY for 'buttering' the crack so the injected mtl flows UP to the next port placed in the crk,,, think we're paying about $50 per tube (const supply house),,,we inject w/2-ram gun hand-pressure ( caulking gun ) we'd never use hydraulic alone for stopping leaking crks as we guarantee the work )

ps - both sources you post'd are good

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote