Basement Tuck Pointing And General Questions - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 212

Basement Tuck Pointing And General Questions

Hello!

So, I finished adding 3 yards of dirt around the house to improve grading, and the basement is looking pretty good in the front. There are other issues to address however.

I'm looking for some guidance/input on these repairs. I've been researching mortar and detailing my approach/plan.

I've been working my way over the walls and cleaning/them etc. The state of the walls is lots of layers of foundation paint (drylok). This is in my opinion, having a negative effect and preventing drying to the interior. Coupled with many spots of missing mortar (where dirt is now coming through via bugs), water intrusion through the wall is a problem. There are many spots where poking them with a screwdriver yields crumbling mortal that looks like it was some type of putty/caulk? This will all get removed. There are many spots where I can stick a screwdriver straight in more than 2 inches. (I'm guessing to the middle layer of brick)

Regarding the mortar, I know there is the "is it lime?" issue. I think that the basement has had multiple non-lime repairs, to the point where any lime mortar is the vast minority. I've also been reading about mortar and while many people say 2 parts sand, others say 2.5 - 3 is the correct ratio.

==> I'm thinking that with a brick foundation that is from 1897; the way to account for being 'soft enough' is not to go lime but to go 3 parts sand?

==> I'm thinking with the health of the basement, I want to remove any soft mortar that 'gives', caulk, and fillers; while leaving any that seems substantial. Further, I plan to vacuum the wall, especially the holes where dirt is coming through.

==> I'm not sure if some bricks have been replaced, it appears so.

==> I'll divide the walls into 4-foot sections, and complete that before moving on to the next section. Clean the section, remove as much mortar as reasonable (up to 1 inch), without major machinery; vacuum; and then fill.

Here are some pictures:

Most of the bricks are cream city, but a few are like this?

I'm looking for advice, options, do's, don'ts and reminders.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,854

It appears your trying to do the repairs from the inside, it won't work repairs need to be made from the outside,along with water proofing.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
coderguy (07-10-2015), stadry (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
It appears your trying to do the repairs from the inside, it won't work repairs need to be made from the outside,along with water proofing.
The repairs have nothing to do with water proofing. I'm aware that any waterproofing would have to be done from the outside.

You can't just leave large gaps / missing mortar; I'm looking to repair that. The post is only about that.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,854

Granted,but you say you have dirt coming in from the outside,stop the water intrusion from the outside first,then address the inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
coderguy (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Granted,but you say you have dirt coming in from the outside,stop the water intrusion from the outside first,then address the inside.
Yes. Thank you for the advice.
Closed Thread