Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

basement information details how to?

i am looking for some information on how to build a basement in arizona (not sure if details would be much different from other places). I am interested in the waterproofing done to the walls prior to backfill and any kind of drainage placed near the footings, also how much gravel to put around it? Do people have the drain tubes in arizona with the little rain we get? Just curious about details and ways of doing things or experience others have had in building basements.

I would like to build a basement some day and just curious how I would go about doing it. thanks

Hyrumbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Probably not going to get a whole lot of love because your topic is very broad. Best bet is a trip to the Library or Amazon searching for

"Basements and Foundations"
"Excavation and Site Work"
"Waterproofing Residential Structures"

If you have more specific questions like "Where should I daylight my footing drain to?" or similar you'll get some good responses.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Soo... is there a house going on top of this basement, or a basement going under a house that's already there, or do you really mean you're just building a basement - like maybe a bomb shelter?

I picked up a book that's probably available at any big box store on the subject of foundations and concrete work.

As for drainage, I've generally gotten the advice that a 12" wide x 12" deep trench lined with landscape fabric, with gravel at the bottom, drainage pipe goes in next, then fill the rest with gravel. What I can't remember is which type of gravel is recommended, there have been people for and against the use of a sock on the drainage pipe...

The pipe itself could be the corrugated, but if you use the rigid PVC with the holes drilled at the bottom you could set up a cleanout so that if the system got clogged, you could clean it out as you would a sewer pipe. Extra work and expense, maybe a feature that will never be needed or used.

That's all general and based on what I've researched for my situation in Michigan. I imagine it's more dry there in AZ and what I need might be overkill for you, but presumably overkill doesn't hurt anything.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #4

The first line of defense against basement flooding is not having water pool up around the foundation. Since you are starting from scratch, you should plan the whole project so the foundation walls are high enough (or the basement is not that deep) and therefore you can fill in the yard around the foundation to slope away.

Do you have such heavy storms, even short storms, that the entire lot may flood for brief periods of time?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Stay-at-home GC

I think the SW is an area where expansive clay or expansive soils can affect foundations.

Be sure and research that area.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Thank you for the responses. I will do a search for those topics. As far as rain storms we do get some heavy rain storms now and then but no "flooding" in my yard, the storms are usually relatively short. This idea of a basement would be an addition to the house with a room above the basement that connects to the house.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #7

Does anyone have any specific books/resources that include construction details for basements including different types of waterproofing methods and products? amazon searches do not turn up anything what I am looking for. Recommendations would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
I ask the impossible!

This seems to be the book I bought at either HD or Lowes (both had it) except my cover was yellow, same picture.

http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Co...7257604&sr=8-6#_

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote