Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement foundation plumbing

Hi guys,

I am new to this site, and in the process of planning the construction of my first home. I have decided to "act" as my own GC. I have a number of resources to assist me throughout the building process, as well as a number of reputable subs. I do have some experience with the building processes, but the one area (and most important area) that confuses me is the foundation.

I am building a split level home with 1277sf up and 1260sf down. I am familiar with the general concept of footings and foundation, but when does the plumbing begin at this stage? Before or after the concrete is poured? Who runs the intial drains and pipes, the concrete sub, or plumber? As you can see, I am completely lost. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan

ndbwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Basement foundation plumbing

If I were you, I would get a reliable plumbing sub-contractor to help you with this. You are going to need to rough-in the plumbing, prior to starting the concrete, unless you are not going to have plumbing below grade. Even in that case, a sleeve to allow for the main house drain should be placed at the appropriate elevation and location in the foundation wall forms.

Also, you will need to plan and install part of your basement water proofing system, prior to placing and finishing your slab.

psydoc is offline   Reply With Quote