Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |

Basement floor - what type of concrete to use?

I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. I broke up the existing concrete and dug everything out to get the drainage pipe in, now I've got to fill it back in. I broke the old stuff with hammers so it's pretty jagged and uneven. Would a general use concrete suit the job or do I need to go with something more specific?

Also, any idea how much I'll need. It's broken up roughly in a T-shape, one run is 7 ft x 12 in, the other run is 5 ft x 18 in, and it was about 3 inches thick.

Thanks.

Evilhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilhomer View Post
I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. I broke up the existing concrete and dug everything out to get the drainage pipe in, now I've got to fill it back in. I broke the old stuff with hammers so it's pretty jagged and uneven. Would a general use concrete suit the job or do I need to go with something more specific?

Also, any idea how much I'll need. It's broken up roughly in a T-shape, one run is 7 ft x 12 in, the other run is 5 ft x 18 in, and it was about 3 inches thick.

Thanks.

You'll need 9 or 10 60lb bags of sakcrete if your demensions are accurate.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

If it says you need 9 or 10, get 11 or 12. Trust me on this one.

And just your average bags of Sakrete at Hombre Depot will do nicely. It doesn't need to have air entrainment, just make sure its not a sand-only mix.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

Thanks, 7 bags did the trick.
Evilhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

@4" depth, ea 80# bag yields 2sf OR .67cf,,, @3" depth, the yield is the same BUT you'll fill 25% more sf - just like coffee, throw in an extra b for the pot ;-) forget the bag's compressive strength but don't add more wtr than nec OR you'll lower the strength of the conc

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote