Basement Floor And Shower Pan - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Basement floor and shower pan

Have acrylic shower pan. Instructions say to set in 1/2 inch bed of mortar. Installing in basement but floor not close to level. Should I just use self leveling cement for entire bath floor then mortar or level everything out with mortar for shower and then mortar / thinset for tiling of rest of bathroom?pics if they help
Attached Thumbnails
Basement floor and shower pan-image-1687102560.jpg   Basement floor and shower pan-image-1634805949.jpg  

Advertisement

benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

I'd definitely level the floor before doing anything else. It'll be much easier to lay flooring base trim, everything once that floor is level.

How far out of level is that? It looks like its 1.5" maybe?

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Yeah I've decided to just level it, even though the self-leveling compound is quite expensive. I think that area is around 1" off, at least.

I'm not sure how many bags I'm going to need though. The bathroom is approximately 4' x 11'. Any idea?

Any pointers on the self-leveling compound?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

I'll defer to some of the experts. I've personally never used it. I've heard its a very easy product to work with though. Hopefully some others here will chime in.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 85

Most self leveling compounds say on the bag that they're good enough to 1/2 inch.

If you're out more than that you might want to prep the floor and put some concrete down.

If youre set on using self leveling compound,maybe keep it a little thicker than the bag calls for,it acts more like concrete that way.

Stuff smells like hell,get some ventilation in there,or keep an air sickness bag nearby!!!
spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 85

Regarding set shower pan,use thin set mortar and cover it in Saran Wrap or the like.

This will allow you to remove in the future or reposition pan while you install with a minimum of mess.

Pan will feel much more substantial underfoot with a layer of thinset underneath.Good Luck on your project.
spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Read up on self leveling compounds----for deep pours, sand can be added----it is expensive--

I don't have time to give you great details at the moment---I set my shower pans into masons mix-(brick mortar)

While you wait--for thick fills 'deck mud set into a bed of wet thinset works--look for a sticky in the flooring section--Mud-what is it? By Bud Cline---
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Yepp,hit the floor with a layer of thinset and deck mud ( 1 part portland mix to 4-5 parts sand and not much water) It will be a rather dry pack where you can make a ball out of it and no water will squeeze.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Thanks all. So I should skip the self leveling and do thinset then deck mud? What about the rest of the bathroom though? It's probably not level throughout.

What do you mean by wet thinset?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Deck mud is a rather dry mix---similar to damp sand that you would make a sand castle from---

You need to help it bond to the old concrete--so--trowel down some fresh thinset first--then start packing your deck mud on top of that----

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

This link will give you a bit of info on deck mud-----

You can only get so thin with the deck mud----for the final topping--use self leveling compound.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I like this link better for deck-mud info http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/ , hope it helps

Advertisement

pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote