Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |

basement floor cracks, problem?

Hi,
In the Chicago suburbs in a 6 year old home. I see basement floor concrete cracks extending from every support column.

1) Are these cracks an issue to be worried about?
---no moisture, even under saran wrap taped to floor.

2) If I finish and carpet over, do these cracks need to be filled, and with what?
---Caulk, dryloc floor paint, something else?

3)I had thought about painting the floor solely for concrete dust and/or filling the cracks
(see #2) HOWEVER if I use a subfloor system (Delta, dricore, tyroc) can I leave the floor AS IS? No painting, no filling of cracks?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
basement floor cracks, problem?-gedc0601.jpg   basement floor cracks, problem?-gedc0600.jpg  

Last edited by kree; 01-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #2

Hard to tell from that close up.
It's normal for some settling cracks to form. That one in the picture is I'd figure on seeing a crack.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #3

Would another picture help? Was it blurry, not close enough....it's easy enough to go take another picture just let me know what is helpful.

I have about 6 columns in the basement, all with 4 cracks extending out from each other to each other.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

That would be normal and not need filling.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Do you know when those column's were put in??
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #6

The home was new construction, 6 years old now.
The concrete guy was awful and made some other goofs on the foundation.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

they're called re-entry cracks & typically found when no isolation jnt surrounds the column foundation,,, expect your supporting foundation(s) is at the same elevation as the top of footing,,,the floor ( floating slab ) was then install'd,,, in fairness to the conc sub, that may've been as order'd by the bldr,,, if you find finishing issues w/floor's surface, THEN blame the conc sub many conc subs don't excavate footers but just form, set rebar, place, & finish the conc

don't see any indication of movement which'd manifest itself by spalls on the crk edges therefore no movement has occurred,,, you'd expect no movement in a bsmt due to temp differentials as the humidity/temp are fairly constant.

IF it were ours ( & we have 'em, too ), smear some acrylic caulk over 'em to keep out rising dampness then finish your floor

IF a proper jnt pattern had been included along w/isolation jnts, there probably wouldn't have been any random cracking however we typically only see that addl expense w/commercial & industrial work

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

"many conc subs don't excavate footers but just form, set rebar, place, & finish the conc "

And that's why those cracks are there,footings should have been excavated,really sloppy way of doing the job.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

As straight as those "cracks" are, I'd bet that they actually used "Zip Strips", which are fairly common and completely acceptable from a non-asthetic standpoint. The likely reason you're not getting any moisture on Saran wrap is because it has plastic sheeting/Visqueen under the floor for a vapor barrier, which is required by code in most, if not all, of the Midwest under baesment floors. I see nothing alarming about anything in the pictures, and don't know of anything you could do to improve the non-issues before moving forward with flooring........

http://www.brockwhite.com/0p14i4357/...-joint-former/
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #10

good point, jo, & a definite possibility,,, impo, crks are due to reason previously post'd,,, how to proceed was original post & an answer's also post'd above,,, its conjecture to say excavation/footings were sloppy/properly built, postfoundations don't exist, or place blame w/o supporting data,,, it is what it is as ' those guys got paid & they're gone ! ' rule now applies,,, also post'd my solution were that floor mine

40yrs i've been doing this work & still can't look thru floors OR walls
just have to depend on my experiences,,, when all's said & done, more is said than done,,, btw, i like jo's theory better'n mine but still conjecture w/o excavation

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 01-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If the columns/post were on footings a good contractor would make tooled joints toward the columns leading to a classic diamond pattern to eliminate random ugly cracks.

If there is no difference the floor height on the adjacent sides of a crack, it is probably a cosmetic problem since a basement slab does not move much.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote