Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Concrete Wall... Can I CUT these off?

Hello all,
First post, First Question for me.

I have these Metal rod things sticking out of my concrete wall. Not sure exactly what they are, but they are letting 'moisture' into my 'Cold room' which is located under the stairs (Basement Front Left corner of the house).
Both were previously patched (around the metal) and patchwork was falling away and as a result, I had to chisel them out.

House is 43 years old I can't see why these things are needed any longer (I imagine they must be rusted all the way through). I would like to cut them away with a Grinder and cut-off disk so that the steel is about an inch further back than the surface of the wall. I would then like to 'Patch' it properly and seal it and most of the wall (corners too).

Would this be OK to do?

FYI: I picked up a bucket of "Quickcrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement" (commercial grade) for the Patchwork and a Bucket of "XYPEX High n' Dry Concrete Waterproofing sealant (crystallization stuff).

Any and All replies are very welcome!

Cheers,

/Joe..
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Concrete Wall... Can I CUT these off?-img_0001.1.jpg   Basement Concrete Wall... Can I CUT these off?-img_0003.1.jpg  
Attached Images

Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
Hello all,
First post, First Question for me.

I have these Metal rod things sticking out of my concrete wall. Not sure exactly what they are, but they are letting 'moisture' into my 'Cold room' which is located under the stairs (Basement Front Left corner of the house).
Both were previously patched (around the metal) and patchwork was falling away and as a result, I had to chisel them out.

House is 43 years old I can't see why these things are needed any longer (I imagine they must be rusted all the way through). I would like to cut them away with a Grinder and cut-off disk so that the steel is about an inch further back than the surface of the wall. I would then like to 'Patch' it properly and seal it and most of the wall (corners too).

Would this be OK to do?

FYI: I picked up a bucket of "Quickcrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement" (commercial grade) for the Patchwork and a Bucket of "XYPEX High n' Dry Concrete Waterproofing sealant (crystallization stuff).

Any and All replies are very welcome!

Cheers,

/Joe..

I'm sure you can cut them back,can't imagine what they were for,had to be there when the walls were poured,the bolt that is, plate and nut were added after forms were stripped.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Could it be some type of a tie back?
Is that the only wall they are in?
Do the walls have any bow to them?
1950home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Looks like a wall anchor to me. And if there is water coming in around them, my guess is that's why they were needed.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Is there anything on the other side of the wall? They look like the bolts that hold a precast bulkhead on. Or used for anchoring walls poured at right angle to foundation.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by housegsx View Post
Looks like a wall anchor to me. And if there is water coming in around them, my guess is that's why they were needed.
I don't think they were needed for that purpose... There is no 'Water', just a bit of moisture buildup over the years due to the 'tiny seams' where the foundation meets the floor and through the bolt / anchor things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950home View Post
Could it be some type of a tie back?
Is that the only wall they are in?
Do the walls have any bow to them?
Not sure what a tie-back is, but it IS the only wall they are in and the walls look VERY straight and solid and with no cracks or anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
Is there anything on the other side of the wall? They look like the bolts that hold a precast bulkhead on. Or used for anchoring walls poured at right angle to foundation.
Hmmm, "Bulkhead"... THAT got me to thinking. I have 'Concrete Stairs' outside and directly 'above' where those two Bolts are!~ Could that be what they are for? The Height seems 'off', but perhaps its just the way I'm measuring / looking at it? Could there be anchors BELOW the concrete stairs that might add to the differential?

Also, the steel plates behind these Nuts have a decent size bow / deflection to them, so MY guess is that whatever this threaded rod is connected to, must indeed be HEAVY and/or was pulled VERY tight.

Cheers,
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,286

It looks like someone went through a lot of trouble to put those in.....I would be inclinded to thing that removal would not be a good idea....

Hopefully some experts will chime in.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

I am not an expert either but that looks like some sort of a tie back system to keep the wall in place.

Sort of like the World Trade Center Slurry Walls?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mapplegate/1380111770/

If it's just a small amount of water/moisture, I would get a dehumidifer and leave those alone imo.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Put up a picture of the outside steps when you get a chance. My guess is that they either anchor a set of pre-cast steps, or they are holding an angle iron ledge/etc... for a cast-in-place set of steps.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Is the other side of the wall dirt and you cannot get to it? If so that wall is a retaining wall. Those look like tiebacks. For some retaining walls tiebacks are provided to help pull the wall so it doesnt push over if the normal footing is not adaquate. I would not remove it. These does not look like form ties as form ties are removable.
luckattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Put up a picture of the outside steps when you get a chance. My guess is that they either anchor a set of pre-cast steps, or they are holding an angle iron ledge/etc... for a cast-in-place set of steps.......
Will do... The steps are really 'One Step' and it's Thick and Heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckattack View Post
Is the other side of the wall dirt and you cannot get to it? If so that wall is a retaining wall. Those look like tiebacks. For some retaining walls tiebacks are provided to help pull the wall so it doesnt push over if the normal footing is not adaquate. I would not remove it. These does not look like form ties as form ties are removable.
Correct, Dirt on the other side. In the Winter this room is nice and cool / cold. Basically this other side of this wall is my front door and One concrete step and of course... Front yard.
Even if I did take off the nut and plate, these ties (or) rods could never be pulled out. They are attached to something 'significant'.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #12

not quite true...if they are indeed tie backs then they would have been designed with both the plate contact surface to the concrete and in turn is held by the nut to rod. it is suppose to be tied back to something significant but the only resistance would be that plate connection at the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
Will do... The steps are really 'One Step' and it's Thick and Heavy.

Correct, Dirt on the other side. In the Winter this room is nice and cool / cold. Basically this other side of this wall is my front door and One concrete step and of course... Front yard.
Even if I did take off the nut and plate, these ties (or) rods could never be pulled out. They are attached to something 'significant'.
luckattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Highly unlikely that they're "tie-backs" or "deadmen"..............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

One thought comes to mind, ask your neighbors if they have the same thing in their basement. Or if they had and removed them, with any ill-effects.

UPDATE YOUR PROFILE to include your location. That would help give advice appropriate to your location. If you're in a location with cold winters it's possible they bolted the stairs back into the house in order to avoid frost heave moving them up/down during the freeze/thaw cycle in winter. Taking the bolts out, if that's what they're doing, might mean eventual cracking or movement in the stairs.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
One thought comes to mind, ask your neighbors if they have the same thing in their basement. Or if they had and removed them, with any ill-effects.

UPDATE YOUR PROFILE to include your location. That would help give advice appropriate to your location. If you're in a location with cold winters it's possible they bolted the stairs back into the house in order to avoid frost heave moving them up/down during the freeze/thaw cycle in winter. Taking the bolts out, if that's what they're doing, might mean eventual cracking or movement in the stairs.

From Alberta Canada and YES, we get some incredibly COLD Winters (-30 farenheit) for a couple of weeks at a time so that could be the case. I also checked with my neighbor and he should be getting back to me right away...

Cheers,