DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

basement concrete floor leveling

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ChrisWz 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, quick question with leveling a concrete basement floor...

Okay so the deepest dip is around 1.5" and my plan is platon/t&g osb/carpet, tile, or laminate. I just want everything level and I want to be able to tapcon the osb down so there's little creaks/etc... when walking on it.

My idea is to get plain old concrete and lay it down about 1/8" short of level then use SLC to get the true level once the concrete is set. I'm just worried that my concrete layer is going to be rather brittle in areas where it's 1/2" or less thick.

I've seen some mention of using "deck mud", the recipe seems simple enough, is this a good option for the rough level? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

#2 ·
Deck mud will work---trowel down modified thinset as a bonding layer and pack the deck mud on top of the wet thinset.

I don't like the idea of OSB or any other wood product over a basement floor---mold sandwich--
but that was not your question---

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! Do you recommend leveling everything off with the deck mud or using a SLC over it once dry? Just needs to be "good enough" for tapcon screws to go in and hold without crumbling the new concrete.

I'm doing a dricore-like system with landscape fabric, platon, and t&g osb on the floor. This diy dricore is 3-4 times cheaper then dricore and I think the quality is still there (a lot less joints at the very least). I was worried about the wood too, but many places claim the dricore or platon/osb works really nice. We'll see!

#7 ·
I just don't understand how you would pour a slab 1 1/2" out of plane. I can tolerate a 1/4" where there was a "hole" but I would think one would have to plan ahead to have an 1 1/2" hole.

This translates to .375. Are your walls 3" out of plumb? When you pump a gallon of gas into your car, do you actually get 2 1/2 quarts?

In a 24' wide home, the floor would fall 9" from one side to the other.

#8 ·
I don't know where you're getting those numbers... My terminology may not be spot on, but I think it's pretty clear. Maybe you skimmed the thread a little too quickly?

The floor is off level by 1.5" at the deepest point. Poured for drainage I assume and probably some settling over the years. Regardless I think I have it figured out now... Any other advice would be welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.