Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Share |

Automotive "lizardskin" or similar sprayable insulated coating on home's Block Wall?

Hello all. I have a single story concrete block house in Central Florida, built in 2009 by DR Horton. The build quality is excellent, but they took several of the common builder shortcuts.

I have a sheet of radiant insulation (foil type stuff) on the inside of the exterior block walls behind the drywall. In the attic there is r-38 blown in insulation. Windows are double pane, cheap double Pane, but double nonetheless. Our power bills are really low, $120-170/month for a 2000 sq ft house.

Anyways, the paint inside and out is pretty much the cheapest thinnest stuff they could spray up. Inside has all been repainted to our taste, and outside I have stayed on top of filling and painting any settlement cracks that have appeared (all less than 1/8 inch wide). I plan to put a 'real' paint on the outside within a year. Our current 3 year old exterior is faded like its 10 years old. I plan to get an elastic type high quality semigloss paint for the outside.

However, I have been curious. There is a product called "lizardskin" that is both a heat barrier as well as a sound absorber. It is typically used in automotive undercoating and interior dampening jobs. It has ceramic particles suspended within and is paintable as well.

By the time the sun sets at night, my exterior walls are physically warm to the touch. It's a medium dark color and I know obviously painting white would help, but we love the color and HOA wouldn't approve a light color. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the product I mentioned, would applying it before the next coat of paint possibly isolate the warm surface from the thermal mass of the block? I'm not worried about huge R value, but more so allowing the block walls to stay cooler in the summer thus not warming the house as much. The product isn't incredible expensive and I don't think it would kill the stucco texture too bad. But the question is, would it help? I am not able to do exterior foam board or other more dramatic treatment. Thanks guys!
UpTownDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Automotive "lizardskin" or similar sprayable insulated coating on home's Block Wall?

My concern would be the product's techinical information (what it is designed to do, and on/over what kinds of materials).

Concrete and block are a very different materials than what is on truck beds; entirely different surface characteristics than metal/steel. For one thing, masonry products are porous and contain moisture.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #3

True. I would definitely check that aspect out of the coating. Years ago I saw a test done on spraying a concrete block wall with line-x truck bed coating. It wasn't tested for long term durability, but it did take a RPG explosion while staying intact. I believe the military was interested in cheaper and lighter bunkers. No idea whether it was pursued.

Totally different chemistry between the coatings. Line-x is hot sprayed and offers no insulation, lizard skin is water based I believe and contains crystallized ceramic. But kinda similar application concept of a thick protective barrier. My house
Doesn't need to take an RPG attack, but rather stay a bit cooler.....

I also was thinking someone may know of an additive to paint that may make similar radiant barrier.

I think I'll call lizardskin to see what they say and let you guys know. My house is 100% concrete block with stucco. I'm just interested in something a bit thicker than paint alone that is compatible and paintable but offers a bit more insulation/radiant barrier to the florida heat. Then seal that in with the best paint I can buy. The whole thing would need to flex with settling, but I would assume sheet metal (automotive applications) would expand, contract, and flex more than concrete (my house)

Thanks for any further tips.

I've been reading on the forum awhile but this is my first thread. Otherwise just educating myself for the future.
UpTownDetail is offline   Reply With Quote