Attaching Window Boxes To Marble - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching Window Boxes to Marble

Hey all,

I live in a 1920's rowhome in Baltimore and have a 2.5 inch thick slab of marble on the front of my house (over top of structural brick) underneath the marble window sill. The window is 62".

I'd like to attach a wooden planter to the front of the house. What's the best way to go about this? I may be able to make it wider and move it a little higher to catch the brick on the sides, but I think I'll need a center support which would need to sink into the marble.

Thanks in advance,

-Matt
Attached Images

Advertisement

standmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

I would drill into the mortar on the brick as that will be easier to conceal in the future and repair.

Pad that area out a bit with Azek or other PVC wood.

Attach you box to the PVC spacers.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

So if I widened the box out another 3 inches on each side, I could catch a few grout lines with Tapcons...would this be enough to hold the box though? If not, should I use an epoxy anchor instead?

We're talking close to 400lbs fully loaded with wet dirt (based on 120lbs/ft^3)

Also, for the spacers, are you saying just something like 1/2 inch blocks to hold it off the house?

-Matt

Last edited by standmatt; 04-08-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,472

you posted ' i live ' - if you rent, you can't legally attach anything,,, if you own, you can here are some other solutions:
1 - lightest solution - plastic flowers & hold up w/boogers ;
2 - heavy - fabricate wrought iron shelf & brackets - attach to
grout linesw/shielded lags ;
3 - heavier - core drill the sill & epoxy s/s threaded rod in addn to # 2 - boogers optional;
4 - heaviest - thru bolt & secure on interior w/3/8" steel plate
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Sorry for the confusion, I do own the place.

The epoxy method sounds good to me, only because I worry about cracking the brick/marble with lag shields and its a plaster wall inside and I really don't want to rip that down to thru-bolt.

Any recommendations on epoxy? I think they sell this one at the local big box store http://www.strongtie.com/products/an...set/index.html
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #6

simpson's a good mtl,,, how're you going to get the mtl into the hole ? cost of the dual cartridge epoxy gun may be more than its worth to own,,, the BIGGER problem is coring the piece,,, we own a weka 3speed hand-held core drill so its no trouble,,, may have to have this done for you by a conc cutters/corers OR you might find a commercial plumber/steamfitter.

using a rotary hammer / hammer drill wouldn't be my choice either
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #7

It looks like they sell some now that's compatible with a standard caulk gun, but I'll have to look more closely. (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-S...3#.UWY0VBkkX-Y)

Also, I figure I can just mount it a little higher than I was originally planning on and catch the bricks on either side of the sill...that way I can avoid drilling the marble at all.

Out of curiosity, whats the difference between a core drill and a regular drill? I've drilled a smaller hole in stone tile with a core drill bit attached to a standard (non hammer) cordless drill.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

not much in the drill motors - both have them & both motors are air-cooled,,, a core drill [ http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-1095-...l-4244017.aspx ] will use a segmented diamond-tipped bit [ http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Con...-Wet-Core-Bits ] that is water fed from the inside of the bit thereby flushing debris from the hole & cooling the bit,,, core bits accomplish their goal by eroding the material they're drilling,,, regular steel bits just drill & scrape away material.

drill the mortar NOT the bricks,,, either a light hammer drill ( bosch bulldog class ) OR heavier regular household twist drill - hope this helps !

Advertisement