Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Share |

Attaching plastic to exterior block wall?

So in a quick attempt to remedy an issue we are have with our basement wall getting moisture coming through after intense rains, I have graded and installed a drain along the length of our house. I am placing 6mil plastic down that will run from the house to the drain and was wondering how I could attach it to the blocks on the side of house.

Should I use furring strips? Some kind of adhesive? Or just wrap up the wall? I am going to place gravel or mulch over the plastic.

THanks for any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching plastic to exterior block wall?-img_20130716_090426.jpg  

Last edited by markley; 07-16-2013 at 08:16 AM.
markley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

where's the moisture showing up on the interior wall ? how deep is the drain - what is it ( pipe, stone ? ) - is it protected by soil filter cloth ? we use pond liner - NOT 6mil stuff

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

The moisture is showing up on the middle to upper part of wall in basement. The drain is about 1 foot at the top of the photo and 3 ft where it exits. There is a 4 inch perforated plastic pipe with filter cloth and surrounded with gravel running the length of the ditch. The plastic goes from the house to the ditch with landscape fabric on the opposite side of ditch (steep side).

The moisture is only showing up after very heavy rains, so I am hoping that if i can channel these events away from the house that I will stop the moisture. I realize that the issue is likely bad waterproofing on the outside, but I figured this is a cheap quick fix to stop the bleeding. With the realization that I may need to hire someone and dig down along the foundation eventually.

Last edited by markley; 07-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Sounds like you built yourself a french drain. Can you extend the plastic to the wall, and wrap it up and over a 4x4 or something? When you pile your gravel or mulch over the plastic it should keep the 4x4 in place.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

would it be worth doubling up on the plastic..I have plenty left
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #6

we use termination strips - sawing press trtd'd 1 x 4s in 1/2 + masonary nails,,, like to keep them hidden from view if possible,,, prior to nailing them, we run a bead of silicone on back,,, doubling up on your plastic certainly can't hurt,,, for appearance sake, we'd probably shy away from a 4x4 altho that'd certainly anchor sheeting.

keep in mind there isn't any material you can apply to the interior of a bsmt wall that will prevent wtr/moisture from penetrating the exterior side of the wall,,, so, just because you can't see it, the wtr/moisture's always present &, probably penetrating your very find bsmt wall(s)

if you keep in mind your bsmt is like a ship's hull below the waterline AND the 4 rules of water, you'll easily resolve this issue:
1 - water runs downhill;
2 - water takes the path of least resistance;
3 - water rushes to fill a void ( make a hole in a sinkfull of wtr );
4 - wtr seeks its own level.

good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

Does not look like any French drain I've ever seen.
It way to far away from the foundation.
No sealing of the foundation wall it's self was done.
The way you have it now by the time you raise the grade it's going to be to close to the siding, it needs to be at least 6" below it to prevent splash back damage.
Any I've built look more like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=253

You never want to use mulch up against a foundation. It's just going to hold in the moisture.

Gutters with down spouts that are run into a separate pipe using solid PVC pipe ran in the same trench is also a good idea.
itsreallyconc (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, I don't plan on raising the grade at the house anymore than it is. Thanks for the suggestion about the mulch..how about if I put down pea gravel a few feet out from the house, then just mulch the last few feet?

I think I'll try nailing treated wood w/ silicone to attach..would a 22 actuated nailer be ok for this? do not want to "pit" out the block..should I nail into joints?