Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Asphalt, concrete, pavers or something else?

My driveway widens before it hits the garage and runs around the garage as you can see here. One car goes in the garage and the other one goes on the side. Since I've added the deck and the door in the back it's nice to be able to go in the back of the house (age old problem w/ capes: You always end up right in the kitchen when you go in the side door).

I'd really like to extend the driveway so that I can actually pull the car all the way up. This will also make it easier to walk by it since there'll be a little more room to get the car straight so it takes up less room width-wise.

In 4-5 yrs we are either going to have to add onto this house or find something bigger - preferably 100 feet away. If I do end up adding on, I will be redoing the driveway at that point also.

My point is - it doesn't have to be fancy, I just need to be able to park a car on it, snowblow it and it needs to not look completely ridiculous.

So .... what do you all think? Is it going to look crazy if I can get an asphalt guy to do it since the rest of the driveway is old?
Attached Thumbnails
Asphalt, concrete, pavers or something else?-yard3.jpg  

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,084

Ayuh,... It might be tough to get a Blacktopper in there for such small footage, unless he's already in the area....

Have ya considered just boxin' it out, say 6", 8", 'n fill it with Stone,...
It'd be a serviceable surface, 'n easily remodeled later...
Or it'd be ready for pavin' later...

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Bondo: I thought about that and the only reason I haven't done that is I need to be able to snowblow it in the winter.

Just curious - what would you box it out with? PT 4x4's? Stone?

I will definitely keep my eye out for people getting their drieways done also, but none of the ones near me look that bad.

Last edited by CoconutPete; 03-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Just curious - what would you box it out with? PT 4x4's? Stone?
Ayuh,... 'round here, I'd box it out to depth, includin' the pavers along the edges, then backfill, 'n compact 3/4"(-) crusher run limestone raked to grade for drainage...

The stone can easily transistion into the lawn, the sidewalk, 'n driveway...
Might throw a chunk of plastic boarder, or a p/t plank along the white marble...
The limestone would go right up to the garage...

Looks like ya could swale it to dump 'bout centered onto the lawn...
atleast a few/ several feet away from the garage...

Btw,.... Properly compacted stone is reasonably snowblower friendly....
It's danm near as hard as Concrete... Fine stone, Lotsa Dust...

I did my Dad's stone driveway for close to 15 years, 'n never broke a window...

Last edited by Bondo; 03-18-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

The grading is a little odd. The top of the asphalt sits higher than the slab the garage is on. The garage used to get water in it when I first bought the house. I dug out that trench next to the garage which was filled with years of dirt and crud. Now it actually drains, but I still found it odd that the asphalt is higher than the slab.

I'm thinking starting steps will end up being the same no matter what I'm doing w/ the top so perhaps I will just start that in the next few weeks.

I'm thinking:
Pull up the stones for the temporary walkway I have down
Dig the area out down 12"
Fill w/ crusher run up to about 2" below the asphalt
Tamp / compact and then see where I'm at.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
The grading is a little odd. The top of the asphalt sits higher than the slab the garage is on. The garage used to get water in it when I first bought the house. I dug out that trench next to the garage which was filled with years of dirt and crud. Now it actually drains, but I still found it odd that the asphalt is higher than the slab.

I'm thinking starting steps will end up being the same no matter what I'm doing w/ the top so perhaps I will just start that in the next few weeks.

I'm thinking:
Pull up the stones for the temporary walkway I have down
Dig the area out down 12"
Fill w/ crusher run up to about 2" below the asphalt
Tamp / compact and then see where I'm at.
Ayuh,... Sounds like a Plan...

Hard to say why the drive is high,...
might be which came first or something...
Garages often get set low, 'cause the owner don't wanta buy fill...
Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

OK here's a follow up question: See the garage? Should I make an attempt to keep the drainage pipe down there? It just runs toe the back of the garage where the grade is lower? Crusher run is supposed to be good for drainage right? So would the water just make its way back there on its own?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
OK here's a follow up question: See the garage? Should I make an attempt to keep the drainage pipe down there? It just runs toe the back of the garage where the grade is lower? Crusher run is supposed to be good for drainage right? So would the water just make its way back there on its own?
Ayuh,.... I think, from yer pictures, if the side of the garage aligns with the porch,...
If you align with the downspout of the house, 'n drive a pin, at the backyard/ new driveway point of intersection...
In other words, 'bout 4' or so from the back corner of the garage, to the end of the new stone...
That'll be the daylight point of the bulk of yer drainage from the garage roof, 'n whatever driveway goes that way....

Then determine the height you need the Finish Grade to be at, at that point, 'n tie a string on the pin there....

If ya pull that string to any point anywhere on the perimeter of the fill,...
That's the line of plane ya need to drain the whole area, without under-grade drainage...

If yer just gonna stone it, you can rake it in to full string line height...
If yer gonna pave it,... leave the stone down, 2" below the string line...

Which way does the water run on the existin' blacktop, 'tween the garage, 'n deck,..??
It looks like it goes 'round front of the garage,..??
or is that the original reason for the pipe/ stone trench alone side the garage,..??

If that's the case,... When blacktoppin' it, I'd consider pullin' the asphalt out atleast back to the house, 'n regrade to run All that water to the pin noted above....
It's hard to see, but probably a cut line from the corner of the garage, to the corner of the house...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Coconut Pete's paella!

If you look at the picture you can see the deck in: The ground slopes to the left and towards the front of the picture slightly. The water coming from the downspout coming off the house runs left in front of the garage and onto the grass over there (that lot is lower than mine).

Most of the water that hits the pavement from the garage towards the yard ends up in that trench alongside the garage and follows it down past the garage where it either ends up on the grass or the lower lot to the left.

The downspout coming off the house right next to the deck just runs under the deck, it's all dirt topped w/ adirondack stone so i've never had a problem w/ runoff from there.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Most of the water that hits the pavement from the garage towards the yard ends up in that trench alongside the garage and follows it down past the garage where it either ends up on the grass or the lower lot to the left.
Ayuh,.... Then I stand by my string line grading posted above....
Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

I like it. That's what I'll do. I plan on just using the stone so I'll rake it right to the line. going to order a little extra for fill-in as it compacts.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
I like it. That's what I'll do. I plan on just using the stone so I'll rake it right to the line. going to order a little extra for fill-in as it compacts.

Thanks.
Ayuh,... Good Luck,...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
Coconut Pete's paella!

OK, so I know this thread is a little old, but I think it's worth a bump. I ordered 4.5 yds of processed gravel and spent 2 long days digging 10" down and filling with the gravel. After driving on it for a few months and tamping here and there I called the 2 local paving companies that I always see signs for on my street and neighboring streets. One guy is doing 2 driveways 1 and 2 streets over this week and he is going to pave my little area for $540. Said he would have to charge roughly twice as much if he wasn't doing work in the neighborhood due to hauling all the equipment and picking up the asphalt, so if you are looking to have a small paving job done, look for signs in your neighborhood and piggyback on that!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
OK, so I know this thread is a little old, but I think it's worth a bump. I ordered 4.5 yds of processed gravel and spent 2 long days digging 10" down and filling with the gravel. After driving on it for a few months and tamping here and there I called the 2 local paving companies that I always see signs for on my street and neighboring streets. One guy is doing 2 driveways 1 and 2 streets over this week and he is going to pave my little area for $540. Said he would have to charge roughly twice as much if he wasn't doing work in the neighborhood due to hauling all the equipment and picking up the asphalt, so if you are looking to have a small paving job done, look for signs in your neighborhood and piggyback on that!
Ayuh,.... Sounds Reasonable,....